Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Dreams for life - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Dreams for life

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1905

Jax created the topic: Dreams for life

I'm curious, since I haven't had this problem. Has anyone here gone from a person who didn't believe in having dreams for their life and then overcame that to now live your dreams? If so, can you share what changed things for you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rebekah
  • Following my heart down this spiritual path.
  • Thank you received: 120

Rebekah replied the topic: Dreams for life

If I'm understanding you correctly then yes I have. Growing up military and moving every two-three years made it hard for me in school. Once I got to high school and was behind in classes and had poor grades I gave up on a lot of my dreams. For example when I was in middle school I wanted to go to West Point. With my grades that wasn't an option. After more and more of my dreams turned into "you can't do that because of your grades" I started taking it as "I'm not good enough" so I stopped dreaming because I didn't believe I could do it.

Now after working on some personal issues and doing lots of personal development I've started dreaming again. Push by Chalene Johnson really helped get me started. A year ago I was at my lowest point. I didn't even want to think about what was going to happen in a week. Push teaches you to find your priorities (what matters most to you...and making a priority statement), set goals and task that align with your priority statement ( example: My number one priority is to gain financial security and freedom; so I can pursue my other goals/dreams without worry and allow myself to relax and be present in each moment.), and then to accomplish them by forming good habits that help you achieve each task that is involved with reaching your goals/dreams.

So between getting a wake up call from my Aunt and reading Push and having an accountability partner help shove me out of my comfort zone I've managed to start dreaming again. :)

Not sure if this is the type of answer you were looking for but hope it helps.

~~Bekah~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Rebekah

Oh and part of why I didn't believe in having dreams was because I didn't believe I was worthy of them.

~~Bekah~~

• Jax
  • Away
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Dreams for life

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm asking about. And it makes sense to me. :-) What helps each person overcome their fear of reaching for dreams will be a bit different I'm sure. But I expect it to come up a lot in the future, so learning more about what worked for others, or even what didn't work, helps. Thanks again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rebekah

• Rebekah

I haven't done this yet but I've thought about going to a therapist. Can't afford it and not sure but I know it can help. I know the military offers this service to family members and I wish I had gone, I didn't because I was afraid that what I said in therapy would get back to my parents. Also my parents always said if I wanted to see a therapist they would find a Christian one and at this point in my life I don't think that would be healthy, lol. Anyways with some of the things I've faced in the past year I realise I should have done that in middle school/high school. So for anyone who has trouble with self-esteem, lack of motivation, depression I'd say see a therapist as well if you can afford it.

~~Bekah~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Thank you received: 1502

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Dreams for life

Thanks Rebekah for starting to answer Jax question, now it seems to be a bit clearer for me as well and I might be able to contribute in the way I had understand it now.

As for me, I first had dreamed of become a fighter jet pilot but had been hold back by my girlfriend of this time – she had been hard against military. Now, looking back, I have to say that it wasn’t too bad that I haven’t gone down this path as through my basic military training I had to find out that my inner personal self and the requirements of the army didn’t fit well together.
But still becoming a fighter jet pilot and aeroplanes had been my big dream.

As this seemed to not be feasible at that time, I went for becoming a building side manager as this had been the major I had “studied” through my time at the higher technical school. This is a school type ending in the school leaving exam which someone needs to be able to then go to university.
Anyway, after two years of working as a building side manager I got some doubts if this is really the job I wanted to do for the rest of my life, so to say. At this time I stumbled across Feng Shui for the first time.

But at that time I made the decision to make my hobby and dream aeroplane construction a reality and therefore I went to university. There I studied aerospace engineering with a major light weight construction and CRFP (carbon reinforced plastics).
Today, I have to say, that I’m at the same point as I had been when I started asking myself if being a building side manager is what I really wanted to be.

Although I’m not yet fully through with my self-doubt and getting the answers I seem to search for and need, I feel confident that with the start of my Feng Shui education I finally have found what I really want to do and can enjoy for my living. Now it needs me to figure out how I can turn this into a business and how I can become self-employed.
So to finish this, I feel that becoming a Feng Shui Consultant is now my new dream and I’m on a got way to make it come true!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rebekah, Jax

• Thank you received: 56

Asta Sophi replied the topic: Dreams for life

What an interesting question!

Huh... I really do not have "dreams" about my life, and have not since... oh... the late 1980's I suppose. I just don't have that personal philosophy.

For me - life is an adventure. I have goals. I have direction. But I do no longer have "dreams". Maybe I'm off-base here, but when I had "dreams" they were about one day "having" this or that life. People had dreams for me. I had dreams for myself. And none were either appropriate (I can see now) or even wanted as an adult.

So the idea of "dreams" sort of puttered out.

Now I find my way to what I realize I would like, or actually NEED, and I go for it.

I don't think dreams are bad or good. I think they could be either. But what about right now? What about the life/Force/stuff around us right now that are leading us forward (even if we don't always know it - or think we want it)?

That said - I seem to have regained a dream I had when I was a teen. It was simply the right time now? Not sure - but maybe dreams are possibilities of time/happenstance?

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1952

Kol Drake replied the topic: Dreams for life

Dream for Life -- early on was -- what do I want to 'do' when I grow up.

Earliest answer: Be Mighty Mouse. He helped people! I was told that it can't happen since I did not have the tail or ears. :(

Next: An astronaut and IF I came back alive (this was in the 'still exploding on the launch pad' era) a scientist who worked in a lab. I was told by my father, "A scientist? You have to be VERY smart to do that." :( Then, by age 10, my eyes betrayed me and I had to wear glasses -- which killed my chances (at the time) to be a pilot or astronaut.

At 17, I thought I might get into computers (circa 1972) but again, my father said, "Why the hell would you want to mess with those stupid things? Get a job in something worthwhile." ((meaning, do what he should have done; not what I dreamed of.))

Mine was the last graduating class to have to hold our breath about the 'go to Vietnam' lottery selection. SO, I went off to college to learn to be an engineer. (my dad's dream; not mine -- I was still in the 'we could all die in a nuclear war at any time' mindset so did not see much of a future during the 'cold war'.)

Got tired of school and stumbled into the military as a linguist. Was not bad but the 'dream' was to go back into college (had done time at two colleges and worked up 2 years worth of credits). Got out and went back to college but soon realized I nearly had to start over again. (( military brain death of any memory of what I had studied before... try coming back after a nearly 5 year break and jump into Differential Equations and Electromagnetic theory! )) Pretty much started over... still doing the parents' dream; not mine.

Graduated and realized I should have swapped majors -- two more classes and I could have had a degree in computer science AND mathematics. Silly me, I ended up with a general engineering degree and a minor in computers and art. Married and with small kids... dreams flew out the window while trying to keep a roof overhead and food, etc. Jump ahead two decades and I started thinking about my researches into the Force, consciousness, and energies... and I thought about writing a book. Spent 2 years amassing research but.. it became the never ending data collection project. The more I researched; the more there was to investigate in more branches of science, philosophy, and psychology.

Latest 'dream'?
Either becoming a 'monkey in a can' -- doing the flyby of Mars in 2018. Or, being part of the international team of 'one way trippers' who are planning to go to Mars in 2023. Space and helping to establish a colony just seems like a cool deal.

Well.... not counting the other minor dream -- win the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes and use some of the money to buy some land and set up a nice cluster of domes for Jedi Gatherings and classes somewhere. I think I have a better chance on the 'monkey in a can' trip.
:P

• Jax
  • Away
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Dreams for life

This brings up other questions. First, what does a person define as a dream? For me, college wasn't a dream, it was an expectation for myself. I never thought I wouldn't go to college, nor did I treat it like a big deal. I knew I'd go and never questioned how to pay for it (I guess I should have considered that a bit more lol). But for my wife, it's a different situation. College is a risk, one that could be a big waste of money. So to consider returning to college feels like dreaming to her. All because of vastly different upbringings.

One common element in not going for dreams (or goals, whatever you want to call them) is lack of self confidence. Or, even if there's self confidence, if there's a domineering parent there's not enough confidence or rebelliousness to overcome the parent's desires. Different situations that are each handled a little differently. Kol and Asta have the benefit of experience and maturity behind them now. Rebekah is early in adulthood. I think it's cool to get these different perspectives, and is a benefit of having variety in this path and group. :-)

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds