Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Random Question - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Random Question

• Thank you received: 127

Setanaoko created the topic: Random Question

Anyone here have a shell which is cut to be used as a horn? This will make more sense as I get a little bit more defined on what I'm going to be doing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1952

Kol Drake replied the topic: Random Question

A long long time ago -- think it was around 1965/66, I lived not far the ocean in Connecticut. Plenty of sea life washed ashore after storms... from stinging jelly fish to starfishes and spiny urchins and horseshoe crabs. Once found a conch shell.... with the critter still alive inside. Had thoughts of trying to work the thing out and use the shell itself for a horn but... it was pretty big and I had no clue with how to go about it... so I tossed it back into the water.

You trying to make one for a SCA event? (( alternative to a dinner bell??? ))
Or for some form of ceremonial 'beckoning'?

Setanaoko replied the topic: Random Question

I own one, but here's why I'm asking everyone, now that I've written it up you can find the story here

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1952

Kol Drake replied the topic: Random Question

ah...

Yes, it is an issue (and problem) seen repeated century after century. If not the 'western-ization' of other cultures, then it was the predominate power of the age, burning libraries and destroying structures which went against established doctrine/beliefs.

It does make one wonder how advanced we might be today if the Library of Alexandria had not been mutilated several times -- ancient and modern sources identify four possible occasions for the partial or complete destruction of the Library: Julius Caesar's fire in the Alexandrian War, in 48 BC; the attack of Aurelian in 270 – 275 AD; the decree of Coptic Pope Theophilus in AD 391; and the Muslim conquest in 642 AD or thereafter. What treasure trove of philosophy, science, and more did we lose with each destruction? How could the world have been changed if the wisdom of it's past had not been turned to ashes?

So many other cultures were subsumed when the Holy Roman Church decided it had to turn everyone to Catholicism... or else. Peoples were tortured and killed it they did not accept 'the Faith' (and the power and Authority of the Church). Whole cultures were destroyed in the 'conversion process'. How much natural science/holistic healing did we lose when 'hedge row witches' were burned because they knew how to use herbs and common sense to aid in healing and general health?

heck.. take someone like Leonardo da Vinci. He had diagrams and drawings which contemplated devices we *finally* could make in the 20th Century -- airplanes, tanks, submarines, and more. Most of his designs were hidden or 'lost' for 4+ centuries since it had to be kept secret from the 'Powers that Be' (the Church). What if his concepts had been used and built upon 'back then' instead of having to wait 400+ years?

heh.. perhaps we would also have the 'secrets' of how the Ancients moved those mega ton stones for the pyramids in Egypt, or the mountain top remains in Machu Pichu or Stonehedge in England? What knowledge (and genetic diversity) have we lost... and are poorer for the lack of?

It is always wise to honor cultures and traditions.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
- George Santayana, American philosopher - (1863-1952)

And sadly, we repeat the 'bad' with the intent of doing good...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Setanaoko

• Thank you received: 1502

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Random Question

Now it makes more sense and I wanted to believe in that we would live already in a time where everyone could live the life he wishes, but unfortunately it seems that we, although everyone is speaking of personal freedom and individualism, are far from it.

Anyway, as I don’t have a shell horn but would like to contribute, I’m wondering if playing my Shakuhachi would also count!? I haven’t done so for quite a while and this would be a very good reason to start plying it again!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Setanaoko

Setanaoko replied the topic: Random Question

I think that would be great. :)

• Thank you received: 1502

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Random Question

Great, then I will do so. :)

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds