Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Nuggets Of Wisdom - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 256

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 270

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 275

Nuggets Of Wisdom

• Ben
  • Ben's Avatar Topic Author
  • Zen Student
  • Thank you received: 6

Ben created the topic: Nuggets Of Wisdom

Hey everyone. I thought maybe it'd be a good idea to perhaps set up a thread where people can post just little quotes and whatnot by certain philosophers, spiritualists, magicians, monks, priests, whoever is most relevant to your own understanding of whatever it is you're striving to understand. I do apologise if such a thread already exists. If it does, please ignore this (and perhaps guide me to it if possible :) ).

"Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like."
-Lao Tzu

"Life comes from the earth and life returns to the earth."
-Zhuangzi

"Happiness is the absence of the striving for happiness."
-Zhuangzi

"Develop the mind of equilibrium. You will always be getting praise and blame, but do not let either affect the poise of the mind: follow the calmness, the absence of pride."
-The Buddha

"Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without."
-The Buddha

"You don't look out there for God, something in the sky, you look in you."
-Alan Watts

"You are a divine being. You matter, you count. You come from realms of unimaginable power and light, and you will return to those realms."
-Terence McKenna
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tothian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.
  • Thank you received: 18

Tothian replied the topic: Nuggets Of Wisdom

"It is more heroic to be hated for being someone's friend, than it is to be loved for being someone's enemy." -Tothian

"Sometimes, it is better to be proven wrong, and learn a wise lesson, than it is to be proven right, and learn nothing." -Tothian

"Man stays wise as long as he searches for wisdom. Once he thinks he has found it, he becomes a fool." -Unknown

"People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." -John C. Maxwell

"You've never met a single person you couldn't learn something from." -Unknown

"Don't find a fault. Find a remedy." -Unknown

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -Vernon Sanders Law

"A characteristic of genuine heroism is it's persistency." -Unknown (I had originally thought it said "consistency" - and that one would apply too)

"A person who spends their whole life fighting against the odds, and winning only one victory, is a greater accomplishment than a person who effortlessly wins one victory after another." -Unsure (I can't remember if I came up with this by modifying another quote, or if someone else came up with this one entirely)

"To err is human; to forgive, divine." -Alexander Pope

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. " -Chinese Proverb

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: Nuggets Of Wisdom

I ain’t no tailor but I know what suits me. ~ Popeye

Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Thoreau

Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it. ~ Emerson

If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear. ~ Winnie the Pooh

The only way to have a friend is to be one. ~ Emerson

Nature provides exceptions to every rule. ~ Margaret Fuller

Children. They cry at you when they’re young, they yell at you when they’re older, they borrows from you when they’s middle-aged and they leave you alone to die. Without even paying you back. ~ Poopdeck Pappy

I yam what I yam. ~ Popeye

We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. ~ Albert Einstein

Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. ~ Lao Tzu

It’s all in your head… except when it isn’t. ~ Gordon @ Rune Soup

Perceive the way of nature and no force of man can harm you. Do not meet a wave head on: avoid it. You do not have to stop force: it is easier to redirect it. Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced. ~ Master Kan (Kung Fu pilot, 1972)

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.

"What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?" - George Eliot

"The smartest people in the world know they don't need to know it all." -Steve Keating

"There will always be people who doubt your ability. Make sure you're never one of them." -Steve Keating

"There is no legitimate justification for evil. It's not there to make you stronger. Let God make you strong." -Tothian

"Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow" - Robert Kiyosaki

"Winners think how they can make others look good. Losers think about how bad they can make others look." -Dan Rockwell (The way I see it, in this example, Winners applies to Leaders, and Losers applies to Politicians.)

"I like how the Ninja Turtles wear masks, good way to hide your identity. It's not like you're a giant f***ing turtle or anything." -Because Tothian felt like throwing in a funny one there LOL

"Life is not about finding yourself. It is about creating yourself." -George Bernard Shaw

"Don't let someone else's opinion of you become your reality." -Les Brown

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

• Ben
  • Zen Student

Ben replied the topic: Nuggets Of Wisdom

"Love is the absence of judgment."
-Dalai Lama XIV

"The more you are motivated by love, the more fearless and free your action will be."
-Dalai Lama XIV

"Treat every moment as your last. It is not preparation for something else."
-Shunryu Suzuki

"Wherever you are, you are one with the clouds and one with the sun and the stars you see. You are one with everything. That is more true than I can say, and more true than you can hear."
-Shunryu Suzuki

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.

"Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced." -James Arthur Baldwin

"Don't find fault, find a remedy." -Henry Ford

"Do we need more time? Or do we need to be more disciplined with the time we have?" -Kerry Johnson

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant." -Robert Louis Stevenson

"He who asks the question is a fool for a minute; he who does not is a fool forever." -Chinese Proverb

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

"It is better to build bridges than walls." -African Proverb
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

"I like how the Ninja Turtles wear masks, good way to hide your identity. It's not like you're a giant f***ing turtle or anything." -Because Tothian felt like throwing in a funny one there LOL

In the original comic and the oldest cartoons, they were trained to be 'ninja'. Being a visual medium, it was easier to color code domino masks then have four identical hooded 'shellbacks' who might have only been identifiable by their weapons preferences.

And without a 'mask' or hood, then they just turned into four mutant turtles who are using weapons -- sewer killers rather then glamorized 'ninja heroes' -- since good guy ninjas were 'big' back in 1984 when the first comics came out.

As for being 'outed' for being giant mutated turtles. Ya.. hard to miss that one in a city that supposedly has a guy dressed as a spider swinging about the city on webs, a walking pile of rocks who lives uptown with a guy of fire, a rubber dude and some chick who models and goes invisible. Not counting the other several hundred super powered (and not so powered) heroes and villains that roam about the city of New York. Giant 'things' coming out of the sewers would be 'just another day' in the Big Apple.

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben

• Ben
  • Zen Student

Ben replied the topic: Nuggets Of Wisdom

‎"In Zen, a duality between Higher Self and Lower Self is not made because if you believe in the Higher Self this is a simple trick of the Lower Self. If you believe that there is no Lower Self, there is only a Higher Self but that somehow or other the Higher Self has to shine through, the very fact that you have to think that it has to try to shine through still gives validity to the existence of a Lower Self. If you think you have a Lower Self, or an Ego, to get rid of and then you fight against it, nothing strengthens the delusion that it exists more than that. So this tremendous schizophrenia in human beings of thinking that they are rider and horse, soul in command of body, or will in command of passions, wrestling with them… all that kind of split thinking simply aggravates the problem and we get more and more split and so we have all sorts of people engaged in an interior conflict which they will never, never resolve because the True Self; either you know it or you don't. If you do know it, then you know it's the only one and the other so-called Lower Self just ceases to be a problem. It becomes something like a mirage, and you don't go around hitting at mirages with a stick or try to put reigns on them. You just know that they're mirages and walk straight through them."
-Alan Watts, 'Out Of Your Mind'

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

The Dalai Lama's Recommendations for You

I N S T R U C T I O N S F O R L I F E

1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.

2. When you lose, don't lose the lesson.

3. Follow the three Rs:

>>>>>>> Respect for self
>>>>>>> Respect for others and
>>>>>>> Responsibility for all your actions.

4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.

6. Do not let a little dispute injure a great friendship.

7. When you realize you have made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.

8. Spend some time alone every day.

9. Open your arms to change, but do not let go of your values.

10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.

11. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Do not bring up the past.

12. Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

13. Be gentle with the earth.

14. Once a year, go someplace you have never been before.

15. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Ben

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds