Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - "Landmarks" of the Jedi - Page 3 - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

"Landmarks" of the Jedi

• Thank you received: 82

Morrako replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

Does the title of "Jedi" box us into a certain set of rules and ideals that can be limiting?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1501

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

Aye, in my humble opinion the “title” Jedi do box us somehow but should this “boxing” limiting us? I don’t think so!
But I feel that it can be taken as a fact that every one of us, be it Jedi, Jedi Realist or just someone from the street, who knows about Star Wars and hears about Jedi as a certain picture in his mind. Although we don’t need to and obviously can’t do so, I still feel it is on us to at least do our best to meet this prejudice, this picture we all have in our minds. It is very common to read or hear when asking people what qualities a Jedi has to show that they will come forward with something like: “A Jedi is always striving for to better himself and be in balance with his core inner self and his surroundings.” How we now exactly live up to this statement is in the hands of every one of us. But we also have to keep in mind that other Jedi will be judged by the example we present.
Because of that, setting up some guidelines for a community which follows the same idea, the same core philosophy is, again in my humble opinion, something we all have to work for to set it up and then do more than our best to meet it as long as we don’t feel that these guidelines are limiting us.
To end this, in my opinion, everyone is free to chose and join whatever community he wants, but he is also free to leave it as soon as he feels that it is (not any longer) the right one for him. During the time we call ourselves a part of this community, I think, we should do what we can to add to it and to act as a positive example of it.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Thank you received: 82

Morrako replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

But why should we have to meet this image that others have in their minds?

Does it truly matter what others think of us? I don't think so.

One of the problems is that other Jedi will be judged by anothers' example. It shouldn't be that way. If people were more aware of themselves, they would know not every person is the same. However, this is not the case at this point in time.

I don't think we should have the play the game of society in order to thrive in this world. There will always be some of us who have a different input and if that causes backlash on the community, then that person is either bastardized or could be labeled as "extreme" because he or she doesn't follow the herd.
> My point is we must be vigilant and aware of ourselves.

Awareness is a landmark. A big one...

Lot's of thoughts on this one. Let me know what you think.

This all sounds very confrontational but I want to know where everyone is coming from. Including myself. I'm getting a better sense of the community as well.

• J. K. Barger
  • J. K. Barger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 80

J. K. Barger replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

Good questions Morrako- lets look at these. Semantically, there are some powerful words in here, so I'll try to speak to the esprit de corps of the Landmarks

These are very important questions Morrako.

I feel ya on not being confrontational- sometimes my posts seem to have a sharp edge, but I'm just trying to be blunt ;)

Looking at your questions about the relationships involved with standard keeping I can see were it is reactionary to not want to be apart of the "rat-race" that they can result in. But from a executive point of view, it is possible to see their worth.

An institution's strength is found in the relationship between its value(s) and its members. Masonry tackles this problem head on- we don't publicly justify or defend our institution, we have virtues that respond so loud and deep that we let our works speak for us. The virtues we stand for transcend superficial differences, allowing for people across the spectrum to meet 'on the level'. Historically, that has proven useful (even up to as recently as the turn of the century, 100 years ago) because religious and social persecution tends weaken the bonds inculcated by virtue and supported by fellowship.

We don't want others, or outsiders in this case, looking in a desecrating our Work. Yet we don't want to remain isolated and elitist. It is these "others" from who we draw our "raw materials" of unshaped stone- individuals themselves. It is through these "others" that we work- I am intimately connected with these others, and it is they, regardless of if they agree with me or not, that I hope to effect. It is true Bodhisattva work- enlightenment of self through enlightenment of others.

I like how you bring up awareness as a landmark. To me, it is THE landmark, but we gotta break down a little to make it workable for the varieties of minds cultivating themselves through Jedi Training. Key to this awareness is that we need to be so aware that there is a "game" of society that we understand the virtue of being one- step ahead. What better way to show our aloofness of the rat race of contemporary culture?

I'll leave you with this- my mom told it to me whenever I'd freak about societal norms and breaking the "chains of class warfare" when i was younger;

"Sometimes to beat the Game, you have to play by the Rules."

Maybe here we (the community, or you and me in this dialogue) aren't on the same page?? Sometimes I find this disconnect in peoples journals- if we can agree what Game we are playing, maybe we can agree on some ground rules.
So quite simply, if your in the business of reaching out to people- whether it's to sell them dues cards, t-shirts, titles, or "enlightenment", then the perception of your institution and its clout will be on your mind, even if it is minimal. Spelling that out a little more shouldn't be that big of a deal then, right?

Here's a question for this question(s): Going far out and abandoning societal norms, civic, standards, and institutional virtue, what are you working on? And for whom?

Th

• Thank you received: 81

Taijibum replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

Bumping…. because I can. :)

As Jedi Realists, perhaps we should look at real world example of "Jedi-like" folks. Warrior mystics are pretty common in most cultures. China has the Shaolin, Japan has samurai and the West has had several knight orders that fit the bill. The all had landmarks.

Shaolin- Chan Buddhist priest/Martial arts training in one of 5 animal styles to expert/mastery.
Templar- Catholic contemplative tradition/Martial knight training
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds