Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - "Landmarks" of the Jedi - Page 2 - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 256

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 270

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 275

"Landmarks" of the Jedi

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: Re: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

I'm so glad it makes sense to you, it's going over my head. lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109

Angelus replied the topic: Re: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

In a sense, what this Institute has posted as part of our FAQ gives the landmarks: instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/smf/index.php?topic=1521.0

We define a Jedi Realist. We state the Core Values. We speak of the Jedi Code.

• Thank you received: 2

astasophi replied the topic: Re: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

What I "get" from Landmarks are such things as Big Moments In Star Wars and the Jedi Realist Movement....

So - May 25th 1977  (and to a lesser degree 1999)
It would be interesting to find when the first Jedi Realist site opened it's cyber-doors - and that date.
I would say what?  1996 (The Jedi Source Book) was published.
Maybe the first offline Jedi (not fan) club in the late 70's...

It's difficult - because much of this has not been documented.

• J. K. Barger
  • J. K. Barger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 80

J. K. Barger replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

Lol, that's definitely a different take on it Asta! Reminds me of a more social take on SW and Culture. Did you ever see the anthropologist speak about the effects of SW in George Lucas VS. The People?

Angelus- that link doesn't go anywhere :/ Do you have something else I should refer back to?

Th

• Thank you received: 81

Taijibum replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

Funny I never noticed this 2 year old topic before. As a Freemason myself, I understand what "Landmarks" are. I also know that you can't pin anybody who calls themselves a Jedi or Jedi Realist down to anything concrete when it comes to common traits. You would think that the Landmarks of a Jedi Realist would be something like:

1- Has practiced meditation consistently for one year for at least one hour a day.
2- Has practiced a legitimate sword art for one year for at least one hour a day.
3- Has passed the "Jedi Trials" of knowledge of the Jedi Code and philosophy before a recognized Jedi council.

• J. K. Barger
  • J. K. Barger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 80

J. K. Barger replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

@Taijibum Really?! That's rad! From where do you hail?

I know it's hard to pin folks down, but I am inclined to think some sort of research and study is implied in Jedi Training- something that we DO that we add to- like the Archives.. So in the nature of of a shared dialectic and syllogistic context (of Star Wars) for the sake of service and illumination, I think the least one could do is outline some sort of framework or overall context within which Jedi Training could take place. By investigating a set of Standards, or landmarks, one can share a model between communities and groups in the mutual Great Work.

Just how things in Lodge are organized and regulated. Not to teach people what to work on, but HOW to work. Once landmarks/ standards/ pillars are established, then its a matter of school or Jedi Tradition to fill out their curriculum.

But that's just how it seems like it works to me in-universe, and it vibes with how I've seen things work real-world, and figured it could help alleviate things going on in the Jedi Community, so I that's where I'm sharing from.

Th

• Thank you received: 81

Taijibum replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

I hear you. The problem with the online Jedi community is also its strength. It is very, very inclusive. Anybody can call themselves a Jedi and nobody will say different. I also don't see anything changing anytime soon.

I see only two things that could possibly change things. The first is a How-To-Be-A-Jedi book that is just so AWESOME people automatically follow its standards. The second is someone invents the first lightsaber and is psychic.

Can you see any solutions?
The following user(s) said Thank You: shea (shlomit)

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

We are attempting to correct those issues in our own way. We have standards for novices, and we're working out the adept/knight standards (which requires us to outline courses, which is why we are taking so long lol). We can't control what anyone else does. No one can. You can't even stop someone from saying they are a Jedi when they've done nothing to be one, as much as you may want to. :-) I totally get where you are all coming from. I struggle with it every day sometimes. That's when I have to refocus on what I can do to improve the situation. Which is why I'm going to work on finalizing Jedi Studies 1 so it's ready to go shortly. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Taijibum, shea (shlomit)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

One 'landmark' -- A Jedi *MUST* have watched all six movies! :silly:

Semi seriously though, what 'landmarks' help define a Jedi being a Jedi?

For some reason, the 'Prime Directives' given to RoboCop (the 1987 classic) come to mind --

1. Serve the public trust.
2. Protect the innocent.
3. Uphold the law.

I do not view the Jedi 'prime directives' as being much different.

Jedi sees their life as a life of meaning and purpose.
Jedi are attuned with the Force.
Jedi should be 'of assistance' whether it be to come to the aid of another or stand between an 'innocent' and potential danger.

Of course, there are caveats to each of those -- especially what kind of assistance or danger, etc.
That is what the staff comes up with after much examination, discussion, and multiple posted threads and responses.

On the flippant side of things, many 'see' the benchmarks of a Jedi being how many push-ups one can achieve or how many 'jedi merit badges' they can complete or working to become some uber combination of alternate security / paramedic / orator / politician / walking on water person.

There is a lot to consider before one decides to walk the Jedi path.
Becoming a Jedi takes work and tons of practice. It is way too easy to become 'unbalanced' concentrating on one aspect of training / personal growth over another but, balance is the ultimate goal. As Qui Gon Jinn stated, being a Jedi is neither easy nor is it glamorous.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

• Thank you received: 82

Morrako replied the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

What is "innocent?"

I Love the rest of that entry.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds