Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - "Landmarks" of the Jedi - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 256

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 270

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 275

"Landmarks" of the Jedi

• J. K. Barger
  • J. K. Barger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 80

J. K. Barger created the topic: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

So I've been doing some Masonic research on the "landmarks" of Freemasonry, and just exactly what they are.  I started to do so when i was browsing the book of constitutions and figured out that the different constitutions themselves came out of a need to recognize and more importantly, to preserve the landmarks that make masonry what it is.

It also brought up a real point to me that exists in the JC- what are our landmarks?  For something to hold the Jedi title, it must have to fit something that is "Jedi".  And what is that?  In 1717, our ancestors came to a point where there was too much going on under the name of "Freemasonry" and that it needed to be defined on paper to allow for what they considered "pure and antient" masonry to flourish and provide the service it was intended to provide.

So I ask you all, what are the Landmarks of the Jedi?  And more importantly, what are these landmarks based on?  From where do they derive their strength, or are they self-supporting?

MTFBWYA :meditate

Th

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

Clarification since I am reading about 'rituals in healing' whereby the book points out that we have tons of rituals which we have but do not hold as 'sacred' as they once were -- the rituals of living -- birth, maturing, death.  The rituals of the church -- beside the call and responses there are the baptisms, weddings, and funerals.  Rituals of passage -- preparing for school each year and the attendant 'final graduation' into adulthood (( well, finishing 'school' since I know more then a few that never grew up 'since high school or college' but you get my drift. ))

Interesting though... this also kind of picks up on other discussions -- to wit, what 'defines' a person as being Jedi / Jedi in Training -- or not?  What symbolizes the acceptance of 'the choice' to walk 'the Path'?   And, does wearing a particular color, or pin, or outfit 'make' one a Jedi?  

I ask the last because I have had encounters with those who 'dress the part' of Star Fleet personnel at conventions and fundraisers but, they really did little to 'uphold the ideals' of what the Federation and Star Fleet (and the hopes implied by the Star Trek sagas) represented.

Ideals?    Codes?    Behavior?    Oaths?   Training & Experience?  Intentions?  

Or does it all boil down to -- to become a better 'me' and to aim at helping others by being so?

Great thread and one worth chewing on!

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: Re: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

What is a landmark? I'm not familiar with how you are using it so please clarify.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

From a freemasonry page --

The Landmarks of Freemasonry -- Percy Jantz, March 8, 2004

The term "Landmark" is found in Proverbs 22:28: "Remove not the ancient landmark which thy fathers have set." In ancient times, it was customary to mark the boundaries of land by means of stone pillars. Removal of these would cause much confusion, men having no other guide than these pillars by which to distinguish the limits of their property. Therefore to remove them was considered a heinous crime. Jewish law says "Thou shalt not remove thy neighbours' landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance."

Hence landmarks are those peculiar marks by which we are able to designate our inheritance. They define what is being passed on to us. In the case of freemasonry, they are called the landmarks of the order.

What are the landmarks of the order? What are "those peculiar marks by which we are able to designate our masonic inheritance?"  In deciding what are and are not masonic landmarks, there has been much diversity of opinion. Some restrict themselves to the obligation signs, tokens and words. Others include the ceremonies of initiation, passing and raising and the ornaments, furniture and jewels of a lodge or their characteristic symbols. Some think that the order has no landmarks beyond its peculiar secrets. But all of these are loose and unsatisfactory.  Perhaps the safest method is to restrict them to those ancient and therefore universal customs of the order, which either gradually grew into operation as rules of action, or, have been enacted from a time so long ago that no account of their origin exists.

The first request therefore of a custom or rule of action to constitute it a landmark is that it must have existed from a time when no one remembers anything else. Its antiquity is its essential element. If every one of the masonic scholars were to get together now and agree on a new regulation, it would not be a landmark because it would not satisfy the need for antiquity.

**** and it goes on to note 'lists' given over the centuries... one being --

On December 11, 1918 the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts adopted, as part of their Constitutions, a shorter list recognizing the following Landmarks:

1) "Monotheism, the sole dogma of Freemasonry;
2) Belief in immortality, the ultimate lesson of Masonic philosophy;
3) The Volume of Sacred Law, an indispensable part of the furniture of the Lodge;
4) The Legend of the Third Degree;
5) Secrecy;
6) The Symbolism of the Operative Art;
7) A Mason must be a freeborn male adult.

The above list of Landmarks is not declared to be exclusive."

So, I guess, kind of what I asked in the previous post?

• J. K. Barger
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

J. K. Barger replied the topic: Re: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

Jax-Kol spelled it out pretty well.  They are basically the points that define the boundaries of any particular thing- in the case of masonry, we call them landmarks, pun intended I think ;D ;D

But as Jedi, the landmarks are what we use as the defining characteristics of our path.  What brought me to this whole thing is my current masonic study coupled with my perusal of The Jedi Path book, if anyone is familiar with it.  It has a lot, although fictitious, that can offer us a lot to work with in terms or Jedi philosophy, training, and organization, even only if in theory or as a source of inspiration.  It seems in the book that the landmarks are the Three Pillars, which seem to fit well with the "landmark" designation, as when building a framed house or some sort of building, landmarks are usually places or points where further things can be built and developed from.

Exactly Kol.  What are the things that define one who is on the Jedi path from one not on it?  It seems kind of silly to me for folks to adopt the title, while holding onto a a few techniques and practices they find beneficial, with little to no actual working knowledge about the practice itself or the context in which it developed.  I think it's high time that Jedi develop their own context in which to explore many of the concepts and practices given to us from other paths out there; hence, all the weird questions lately.. 8) 8)

MTFBWYA

Th

• J. K. Barger
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

J. K. Barger replied the topic: Re: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

Bump this thread!  I need more discussion from everyone!  I was sure this one was a hitter..

Th

I'm just having a really hard time wrapping my mind around this terminology. I have no experience with these other groups and their structure so it seems to confuse me more. I'm sorry, I'm sure this makes more sense to others, but not me. And I haven't had the chance to sit and make sense out of it.

• Thank you received: 11

Daizan replied the topic: Re: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

JK,

I wonder if in your research you have looked into the Order of Contemporary Benedictines. I think I see where you are headed with your ideas and it may be of some use.

R

edit: forgot to leave a link. www.forministry.com/USRIINTERRCCIR

The Mind is always present. You just don't see it. ~Bodhidharma
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger

I would love to see you guys develop this idea further and put it into language that the rest of us understand. ;-)

• Thank you received: 11

Daizan replied the topic: Re: "Landmarks" of the Jedi

I've been noodling with my idea a bit today. JK's second post mentioned the Three Pillars (I had to look it up). It was exactly what I was looking for.

The Mind is always present. You just don't see it. ~Bodhidharma

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds