A long time ago...

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1900

Jax created the topic: A long time ago...

What, if anything, would change for you if, rather than an imagined story, Star Wars (the original as written by lucas) was a true story of life a long time ago in a galaxy far far away?  Would it change your motivation?  Encourage your training?  Would it not change anything for you at all? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15

Icarus replied the topic: Re: A long time ago...

To be honest, no. And, I'll tell you why. I believe that for every thought, action, feeling, etc., an alternate reality is formed, if only in the Force... If that is the case, then SW is for real, from a certain point of view. Plus, I don't see anything in those stories that cannot be achieved by us, anyway.

• Thank you received: 137

Kai-An Tatok replied the topic: Re: A long time ago...

Yeah it would actually. Partially because in that universe only certain people can become Jedi- they have this whole thing of 'force-sensitive' people vs normal people. I would likely be a little scared that I was one of the latter.
It would change my perception of being a Jedi a bit too to align more with the fictional ones. Yes I think we are capable of all that stuff, but it would just be a bit different.

But like Icarus said, Star Wars is real, from a certain point of view. It's certainly real for me.
Much love,
Kai-An

"Close your eyes. Feel it. The light, it's always been there. It will guide you." -Maz Kanata

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re: A long time ago...

what if, in their society, it wasn't that other people weren't force sensitive, they just only chose the most sensitive to train?  That is certainly consistent with the stories.  And, Luke had no clue about the force, which shows that we could be just as strong without having a clue.

• Thank you received: 37

inari replied the topic: Re: A long time ago...

It would make no difference to me. The Jedi originally started off as a group of philosophers and researchers, and it took a really long time for them to develop the techniques and tests etc to be able to pick and choose amongst people. There were also other groups who worked with and studied the Force in the fictional universe. In my mind, we are still in the very early stages, if anything, recreating a discipline almost from scratch, not trying (or capable of) recreating from the fictional universe because we do not have that basic level of knowledge yet.

• Thank you received: 137

Kai-An Tatok replied the topic: Re: A long time ago...

*nods in agreement*

"Close your eyes. Feel it. The light, it's always been there. It will guide you." -Maz Kanata

• Thank you received: 0

Nicolae MacGregor replied the topic: Re: A long time ago...

While I enjoy Lucas's vision, I must say that there are several things he promotes that are inconsitent with our current understanding of physics. Also, my personal study into metaphysics is very tender. I do not believe at this point that I will be able to levitate anything. Instead, I believe (and quantum mechanics seems to support the idea) that the universe is totally saturated by some kind of awareness and that if we plug into this awareness it can put us in the right place at the right time/make our wishes come true more often, it can also give us peace, heal us, make us happier, etc; however it does not seem to be able to move mountains or control minds.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re: A long time ago...

You're working on the assumption that our understanding of physics is complete or correct.  Physics does not negate the ability for something to levitate.  Instead is simply says for an object to levitate, another force must act on that object to negate the force due to gravity.  Just because you can't see something, that doesn't mean it can't provide a force either.  An individual particle does not produce much force, but many particles can make a huge impact.  And, since all matter is energy, that means you should be able to use energy to levitate an object.  The biggest barrier to this all is our own belief that it is impossible.  Physics does not say it is impossible.

Mabius replied the topic: Re: A long time ago...

Nicolae, have you seen the movie (or read the book) "What the bleep do we know?" It is incredibly insightful into quantum physics and mechanics, and the meaning of everything as it relates to our perception of the idea of reality. If anyone here has not seen that movie, i HIGHLY recommend it.

Remember... The force will be with you... Always.

Nicolae MacGregor replied the topic: Re: A long time ago...

Yeah, it is a good movie, as is the secret. QM is really coming to a point where it is pointing towards a spiritual and mystical nature to our reality. What I think is funny is that the people who have been running the pro-creationism campaign are not even the one's whose religious ideas are being supported. What science is showing is more of a Hindu or Buddhist understanding; however, I guess new age would be the appropriate word.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds