A Community Building Team

• Pyro1560
  • Pyro1560's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Pyro1560 created the topic: A Community Building Team

Well as far as community goes, I know Jax has always been a proponent of taking time to talk to a person through Instant messages. So I have a proposition.

Many sites have had a counselor position that, for the most part, went wholly unused. Perhaps if we develop a team of people who would be interested in not just being a counselor on the forums, but rather Instant Message counselors so to speak. These counselors wouldn't wait until someone needed something to speak to them, but rather they would make that extra effort to speak to people on a daily basis. It could either be Jedi related or just a "Hey how are you doing today?" type conversation. There would be no assignments to who you should talk to, just an assurance that we are making an effort to get to every person as best as we could. Naturally, it would be a serious undertaking but I think it could benefit us as a whole.

What do you guys think?

Also, I'd like anyone else to post what makes them feel at home in a community and any ideas that they might have to help develop a strong knit community.

Aaron

"Life truly was the antidote to destruction." I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole, pg. 20.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hybrid Dawn replied the topic: Re: A Community Building Team

I think that's a great idea. While I'm new to the community, if you needed someone to help out with it, I'd be more than welcome too.

• Thank you received: 137

Kai-An Tatok replied the topic: Re: A Community Building Team

Ditto. I have a lot of jedi I talk to on msn already, and I'd love to talk to even more people in the community.

I also really appreciate this forum- it's so much easier to discuss things there than it was in the moodle format.

Much love,
Kai-An

"Close your eyes. Feel it. The light, it's always been there. It will guide you." -Maz Kanata

I agree, forums are much easier.

• Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: Re: A Community Building Team

It does appear to be easier to chat on instant messenger.  But, we also have the chat room.  And while instant messenger is good at building one on one relationships, a community comes from the interplay between larger numbers of people.  And that is "best" handled in a chat room if you want that immediate feedback. 

So two ideas are: 
1.  As at Jediism, we have a thread where people offer their services as someone a person can contact over instant messenger. 

2.  Find a way to use the chat room more.  That could include scheduling chats.  Or, when you start chatting with more than one person on instant messenger, get everyone to move over to the chat room.

Thoughts?

• Thank you received: 37

inari replied the topic: Re: A Community Building Team

These are all great theories in principle, but it is getting people to be available for such things that is the difficult part, and getting people to participate in chat.

How about a roster system? So people could be available from certain times on certain days for chats such as pyro mentioned? If it was a 'regular thing' it might help people to participate on both ends.

Inari

I agree that support in large numbers is better for the community and our interconnections, but I also find that one on one chats can often be beneficial for people as well.

I think various ways of communication should be set up dependent on a persons preference.

Support comes in many ways and I think we should do our best to offer as many as possible.

• Pyro1560
  • Pyro1560's Avatar Topic Author

Pyro1560 replied the topic: Re: A Community Building Team

Jax, I totally see what you mean. I feel however, that starting smaller with one-on-one's will help build a sense of friendship and then when we do have scheduled chats in the chatroom it will be more likely that people will come to hangout with those that they are familiar with. It's kind of creating a bridge to bigger and better things.

Though, after everyone gets more comfortable with one another I feel that directing chats to the chat room could be effective, though it wouldn't be something that I feel would be useful until the point that the people are already familiar and comfortable with one another enough to be willing to really participate.

Also, I like the Jediism idea, but if that was all we had I feel it would go just as unused as the counselor position did. People are more likely to talk about things to those that they feel more at home with rather than just strangers that they have seen post on the forum. It's definitely something worthy of including, but the extra personal investment can go a long way at times.

Inari, I really do like your idea of creating a roster. How would you see it formatted? Would it be categorized into the time zones that people are at and their expected time online? Or would it just be a list of names and what not?

Aaron

"Life truly was the antidote to destruction." I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole, pg. 20.

I agree with Pyro. Establishing friendships through one on one conversations would help make a group atmosphere more comfortable and open.

• Thank you received: 37

inari replied the topic: Re: A Community Building Team

Hi Pyro,

I reckon that timezones and expected days would be easiest. Maybe come up with a visual timezone strip-chart?

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds