Motivator

• Andy
  • Andy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Be A Knight
  • Thank you received: 25

Andy created the topic: Motivator

So I have a question. What motivates your decesion to be Jedi? What makes you get up every day and choose to live your life as a Jedi? What are it’s sources?

A wise man will not leave the right to the mercy of chance, nor wish it to prevail through the power of the majority. There is but little virtue in the action of masses of men.

-Henry David Thoreau

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1773

Kol Drake replied the topic: Motivator

Calling yourself a Jedi is a bit more than just living a life inspired by the films (or tv shows, books, comics, games, etc.).
One might say that 'being a Jedi' is a means of labeling the lifestyle.

When you live your life by clear guidelines and a Code having a label helps people make sense of why you do what you do.
Why are you bending yourself into a pretzel? Yoga.
Why are you kneeling in front of a half-naked man nailed to a cross? Catholic Praying.
Why are you sitting in front of a wall doing nothing for an hour? Zazen.
Why do you live the way you do? I’m a Jedi.

We are paying homage to the inspiration and keeping it very close to the heart so that we do not lose our way. As the movies shows us, falling to the dark side can be pretty easy. Again, the movie is 'fiction' but is a mirror / mythology which helps us reflect on the foibles and failings of life and living.

The moon can never be a Jedi Knight -- because it has a dark side.
Humans, however, can decide to follow 'by example' (those examples being based on the Knights Templar, Stoicism, Knights of the Round Table, etc.) and use the 'myth' as motivation and inspiration. They may never have lightning come out of their hands or levitate several rocks and a astro repair droid at the same time but... we can dream and strive and do the best we can at being all we can be.

Is that enough to 'get us up each morning'?
Is that a motivation which fires our spirit and soul to 'do right' each and every day?

Maybe. Maybe not.
A healthy dose of quality root beer and a pizza once a month helps me stay on track. Perhaps, for some, they need to embrace the dictates of a religion rather than a personal philosophy. We each walk our own paths our own way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

• Thank you received: 1353

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Motivator

Nothing really to add to what Kol Drake already wrote.
For me being and calling myself a Jedi Realist is based on that the Jedi, at least as I do see and understand them, is summing up best what I do take as my principles and way of life. So, for me it is not calling myself a Jedi what motivates me in the first place, this is more an outcome of what I made my principles, my attitude, my rules to follow, my daily life. For me what does motivate me is to strive every day for being the best me possible and to reach for the goals and things important to me which, hopefully, do help me to progress on this way, on this path.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 1785

Jax replied the topic: Motivator

For me the label is still convenient. We don't have good examples in society of a true body, mind, spirit path focused on benevolence in the world. So I use the term Jedi, even though it is imperfect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Chris-Tien Jinn

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds