Getting to know you - jobs and careers

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Getting to know you - jobs and careers

Well this is perfectly timed. Thank you Jax, (thank you universe with another 2x4).

I work as a "Client Service Coordinator" at a large-ish cat only veterinarian office. Not where I pictured myself while I was getting my masters in PR/Marketing, but a paycheck is a paycheck. On good days I enjoy my job. I get to pet cats, wear comfy clothes and I have some amazing co-workers. More importantly, I get to help clients provide the best care for their furry friends. Having dealt with several chronically sick cats, I understand the stress that comes with chronic vet bills, medications and serial vet visits. There is a certain amount of flexibility, but not nearly as much as I would like. On a bad day I don't get paid enough for this sh*t, and can hardly contain myself from dancing out the doors....or I would dance if there was any energy left. Going from a privately owned to a corporate business is rough.

I have been writing a blog on cats for several years now, and I would like to eventually make that profitable. In some small way at least. Writing and animals are my twin passions, but I don't know how to combine them. It feels like every career I am interested in has restricted job openings. Working in a library sounds amazing. Teaching is poking at the side of my thought field, but I don't think it is right for me. Ideal right now would be If I can find something else in the veterinary field, working at a professional organization or something like that. Or something where I can use my knowledge of social media for professional use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: Getting to know you - jobs and careers

A funny thing happens in life...sometimes it kicks your ass. So even though you have a business to build/run, finances dictate getting an additional job. So that's what I did. And I missed the notifications of this thread!

So now, I do all the things as before, sort of (had a car issue that took uber out of the running for a few weeks this month) and added product repping for Dyson on the weekends. I am at a Bed Bath and Beyond store and talk to people about the Dyson products, encourage them to try them out, and help them understand why there's a high price tag (there's a good reason at least). I love working for a company that has legitimately awesome products with good engineering. It's also good sales practice. I still have a lot of bad habits so this is very good for me. And it's some income, which is critical.

Come January or so I will hopefully, finally, be getting a decent salary from the solar company. Couple that with more jobs coming in and we can finally pay off our debt and build up our savings. Today I setup my very first business banking account! I'm getting more referrals and have at least one contract being signed as soon as her loan comes through. I've learned to ask for 60% up front so I can pay myself first instead of last. That's a key lesson for me! And there are a few potentially coming soon. And I have a lot of good information on how to approach the car dealership I purchased from. So good things coming. Just gotta ride things out and remember that everything takes more time than I want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Katie (StormyKat)

• Thank you received: 150

Dustin replied the topic: Getting to know you - jobs and careers

I'm an IT professional; troubleshooting systems and user expectations, building computers, and trying to improve both fronts. That last bit has lead me to learn programming.

I'm doing what I currently want to be doing. It's stable and reliable which allows me to keep my priorities centered on home life while my wife pursues voluntary and professional responsibilities that require more of her time.

I don't know what my dream job is.... hard to describe what doesn't exist yet. Time will tell.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Anais Nin

• Thank you received: 3

Shalia Tarsus replied the topic: Getting to know you - jobs and careers

I am a Business Systems Analyst, which - in the environment I am in - means I help administrative departments select, install, and maintain computer software, acting as a liaison between non-technical people and IT folks like Dustin up there, attempting to bridge the jargon gap (heh). In some other organizations, the function of a Business Systems Analyst deals more with reporting and data mining, and I've done that too.

In the past, I've also done financial analysis, financial forecasting, and accounting.

My dream job, should the opportunity ever arise, would deal with healing of some sort. Years ago, a group of people using a mix of conventional Western medicine, Oriental medicine, and energy healing had a profound impact on my life, and I'd like to touch others in the same way.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Getting to know you - jobs and careers

Thanks for sharing!

Shalia, have you been training in healing arts?

• Thank you received: 3

Shalia Tarsus replied the topic: Getting to know you - jobs and careers

Only lightly so far, Jax. I made a significant move a bit over a year ago, and before I left my old home I received two Reiki attunements. I have used Reiki only a little so far, but - while I rarely make New Year's resolutions - I did commit myself to applying it with more regularity this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re:Getting to know you - jobs and careers

Have you looked on meetup.com? There are usually groups you can find to add to your practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 96

Hilda Cain replied the topic: Re:Getting to know you - jobs and careers

I do not know if this is still going on but, here goes. I have worked in all kinds of offices, doing duties from Receptionist, to admin. i have worked as a security guard, store clerk, cashier, Nursery(Plant), work from a long times at the Legal and Production Dept. of a newspaper.
I want to go back and get a BS in Botany and Zoology. I have been studying growth (personal/spiritual) for a very, long time. This and other lifetimes.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1893

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:Getting to know you - jobs and careers

Yep... still here and ... thanks for sharing!

Botany and Zoology -- my figurative hat is off to you on this endeavor. College Biology and Organic Chemistry never 'clicked' for me. Guess that's why I was better with printed circuits and computer programs.

• Thank you received: 96

Hilda Cain replied the topic: Re:Getting to know you - jobs and careers

Yes, I was working toward a Biology before some bad stuff happened. I love science. Me and computers can sometimes get a long, but, I have been know to kill cell phones and computers. Lol, the cell phones techs could not figure out what I did to some of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds