Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Re:Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

I wonder if we're going to get anything else in the way of trailers before the film releases.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1761

Jax replied the topic: Re:Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

Most likely. But will they show anything new? We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Re:Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

I am excited because... I want another darker movie. Revenge of the Sith was my JAM.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1762

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

For some reason, my mind was on Star Wars and the next movie to come out.

Here is today's 'wild speculation'...

In the New Jedi Order series -- (before Disney/Lucas killed all the book history for the NEW Franchise) --there was a character named "Vergere". Vergere was a bird-like creature who trained as a Jedi before going 'rogue'. By the time of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, Vergere had captured & tortured Jacen Solo, trying to turn him into a future Sith apprentice. Eventually, Vergere's training helped turn Jacen into Darth Caedus, the Dark Lord of the Sith.

There is the whole Yuuzhan Vong alien thing... which is now 'non-canon'... which will probably never see the light of day in a movie... but, it struck me that Rey going to "Hermit" Luke Skywalker and what little of what we hear in the trailers so far... might be very much like Luke being Vergere and Rey being Jacen Solo. NOT trying to turn her to a Sith... but opening her eyes to the Force in a wider meaning and concept.

Figure, Luke tried to teach from what he had learned -- (( Cliff Note training from Obi Wan and Yoda before both teachers died!)) -- and all he was trained to *do* was go kill Darth Vader/ his father. It wasn't enough. The school fell apart. Solo's kid went dark. Luke went off to find out what he didn't know. He studied other Force User systems. He went into hermitage and spent long stretches meditating / communing with the Force --- going well beyond 'just' Light vs Dark. When Rey shows up, Luke KNOWS there is 'so much more' to the Force than 'just'...

So, in some ways, Luke takes on the role of Vergere... basically ripping us (thru Rey) from our old concepts about the Force to something well beyond 'the basics'. (Even thought she hasn't even been taught those basics... somehow she just *knows* how to fly the Falcon, has her 'Force mind abilities' kick started while being tortured, and has a natural affinity with using a lightsaber. Let's face it, she's the female clone of Obie Wan. :p )

Just kidding with that last bit...
Vergere stressed to Jacen the concept of the Force itself is neutral and that all bad and dark motives come from the Force User who uses his or her abilities with wrong and selfish desires. After all these years, I can 'see' Lucasfilms going with this kind of concept. Changing times; changing points of view, etc. The 'so much more' Force takes us far, far away from the old binary 'good/evil <> light/dark' trope for the Force.

• Thank you received: 1761

Jax replied the topic: Re:Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

Makes sense overall. I don't know that the writers know a think about that whole storyline, but it creates a parallel journey. I look forward to expanding things, as long as it's done well.

• Nick
  • Don't Stop Believing... in yourself!
  • Thank you received: 131

Nick replied the topic: Re:Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

Kol Drake wrote: For some reason, my mind was on Star Wars and the next movie to come out.

Here is today's 'wild speculation'...

In the New Jedi Order series -- (before Disney/Lucas killed all the book history for the NEW Franchise) --there was a character named "Vergere". Vergere was a bird-like creature who trained as a Jedi before going 'rogue'. By the time of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, Vergere had captured & tortured Jacen Solo, trying to turn him into a future Sith apprentice. Eventually, Vergere's training helped turn Jacen into Darth Caedus, the Dark Lord of the Sith.

There is the whole Yuuzhan Vong alien thing... which is now 'non-canon'... which will probably never see the light of day in a movie... but, it struck me that Rey going to "Hermit" Luke Skywalker and what little of what we hear in the trailers so far... might be very much like Luke being Vergere and Rey being Jacen Solo. NOT trying to turn her to a Sith... but opening her eyes to the Force in a wider meaning and concept.

Figure, Luke tried to teach from what he had learned -- (( Cliff Note training from Obi Wan and Yoda before both teachers died!)) -- and all he was trained to *do* was go kill Darth Vader/ his father. It wasn't enough. The school fell apart. Solo's kid went dark. Luke went off to find out what he didn't know. He studied other Force User systems. He went into hermitage and spent long stretches meditating / communing with the Force --- going well beyond 'just' Light vs Dark. When Rey shows up, Luke KNOWS there is 'so much more' to the Force than 'just'...

So, in some ways, Luke takes on the role of Vergere... basically ripping us (thru Rey) from our old concepts about the Force to something well beyond 'the basics'. (Even thought she hasn't even been taught those basics... somehow she just *knows* how to fly the Falcon, has her 'Force mind abilities' kick started while being tortured, and has a natural affinity with using a lightsaber. Let's face it, she's the female clone of Obie Wan. :p )

Just kidding with that last bit...
Vergere stressed to Jacen the concept of the Force itself is neutral and that all bad and dark motives come from the Force User who uses his or her abilities with wrong and selfish desires. After all these years, I can 'see' Lucasfilms going with this kind of concept. Changing times; changing points of view, etc. The 'so much more' Force takes us far, far away from the old binary 'good/evil <> light/dark' trope for the Force.

I believe they teased this concept in the Rebels series with the Bendu who embodied the balance of light and dark.

By the way, "Traitor" is one of the best books of the New Jedi Order series and I keep it on my shelf at work. I plan to read through it again at some point and pull all of Vergere's lessons to analyze.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds