Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1762

Kol Drake created the topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

It's been on the fan sites and it's available on YouTube. Disney finally released it's first "SW: The Last Jedi" trailer -- with it's release in December this year.

I'll not post spoilers (yet) but have to say, it seems to me as if we might be getting a new definition of the Force...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1761

Jax replied the topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

I think we're going to get a new definition of Jedi. But yeah...hopefully they'll correct the binary interpretation of the Force with these new movies so it inspires people at a new level.

• Nick
  • Don't Stop Believing... in yourself!
  • Thank you received: 131

Nick replied the topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

Jax wrote: I think we're going to get a new definition of Jedi. But yeah...hopefully they'll correct the binary interpretation of the Force with these new movies so it inspires people at a new level.

It's been hinted at throughout the Rebels TV series with the Bendoo character. Rogue One did a good job of dropping background and existence of other Force cultures outside of Jedi and Sith. As for the Force itself, the more mystery they leave, the better. If they answer any questions, then those answers should lead to new mysteries. For the Last Jedi, I'm hoping for a fun and enlightening movie about character growth through moral and ethical challenges.

The Skywalker family line is the heart of episodes I-VI, with Jedi vs Sith as a close second. VII-IX shouldn't be any different, but in order for them to continue beyond IX and have original material, they need to make the heart of Star Wars be "The Force". The Star Wars universe needs to be vast, not trapped in the box of Skywalker blood and Jedi vs Sith. I believe that was their goal with these movies and why episode VII was titled "The Force Awakens".

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Kai Sabu

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM
  • Thank you received: 88

Brandel Valico replied the topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

Jax I'm curious what you feel needs to be corrected about the binary interpretation of the Force. If you wouldn't mind expanding your thoughts on it, is it the binary concept itself or simply the way its shown and used for example?

HOMO SUM HUMANI A ME NIHIL ALIENUM PUTO

• Nick

FYI, the Aftermath: Life Debt book has an interlude which leaves an opening for how Boba Fett may have escaped the Sarlacc Pit.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 230

Baru replied the topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

What does this mean for us and "all" jedi?

I like that they are trying to get beyond dualism!

We are the Force.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

Wild speculation time concerning bits of the trailer --

Luke Skywalker, living an isolated, bearded, monk-ish existence on Ach-To before Rey shows up with his old lightsaber, wears a necklace with his ratty Jedi robes. From a distance, the necklace is said to look like a “dog whistle.” A closer inspection reveals a small, red crystal sticking out.

Side note -- We know that Lucasfilm has its act together with the new canon, meticulously planting seeds for future plot developments across all mediums. It’s surely no accident that a novel centered on Grand Moff Tarkin was published a few years before he returned to the screen in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. And it’s surely no accident that Rogue One made a big, huge deal out of Kyber crystals, objects that would only be known to the more obsessive Star Wars fans.

What if Rogue One was quietly laying the groundwork for The Last Jedi, introducing general audiences to the crystals that power lightsabers so they’d be able to quickly understand the importance of one in The Last Jedi? Combine this with the idea that maybe Luke keeps his father’s old crystal (we never saw what became of his father’s second lightsaber after his death!) for sentimental reasons, and a picture starts to come together.

Back on topic which leads to this question: What if there is a reason Kylo Ren is seeking out Luke Skywalker beyond a basic desire to murder his old master? What if he wants to complete his Darth Vader memorabilia collection? What if he wants to power his lightsaber with his grandfather’s old crystal?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

Regarding the Force --

The trailer gives us snippets.
Luke - "What do you see?"
Rey - "Light... Dark... Balance..."
Luke - "It is so much more..."

I suspect that all this 'alone time' after Luke's failure at starting another Jedi Academy has let him explore the greater essence of the Force. Well beyond the 'force fed' (ya, sorry for that) teachings he got from Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda. They were shoving 'got to kill your dad' down his throat and basically cramming what would normally be two decades of Jedi life/training into what little time they had. Luke barely got the Cliff Notes version of what it meant to be a Jedi -or- what the Force was all about. So, now, he's spent ??? years alone, in 'contemplation'.

I suspect we will get the broader sense of the Force... all those 'sub-sects' brought out in the now 'alt' book universe which had 'Force Witches', etc. All those variants are still touching 'part of the Force'... through their own lenses. Not certain we shall ever get 'as classic' a definition as we did in the very first movie --

"Well, the Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together." - Obi Wan Kenobi, SW IV, A New Hope

We shall have to wait and see this December...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick

• Nick

Kol Drake wrote: Wild speculation time concerning bits of the trailer --

Luke Skywalker, living an isolated, bearded, monk-ish existence on Ach-To before Rey shows up with his old lightsaber, wears a necklace with his ratty Jedi robes. From a distance, the necklace is said to look like a “dog whistle.” A closer inspection reveals a small, red crystal sticking out.

Side note -- We know that Lucasfilm has its act together with the new canon, meticulously planting seeds for future plot developments across all mediums. It’s surely no accident that a novel centered on Grand Moff Tarkin was published a few years before he returned to the screen in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. And it’s surely no accident that Rogue One made a big, huge deal out of Kyber crystals, objects that would only be known to the more obsessive Star Wars fans.

What if Rogue One was quietly laying the groundwork for The Last Jedi, introducing general audiences to the crystals that power lightsabers so they’d be able to quickly understand the importance of one in The Last Jedi? Combine this with the idea that maybe Luke keeps his father’s old crystal (we never saw what became of his father’s second lightsaber after his death!) for sentimental reasons, and a picture starts to come together.

Back on topic which leads to this question: What if there is a reason Kylo Ren is seeking out Luke Skywalker beyond a basic desire to murder his old master? What if he wants to complete his Darth Vader memorabilia collection? What if he wants to power his lightsaber with his grandfather’s old crystal?

Snoke fears the return of Skywalker. They wanted the map first to get to Skywalker before other could. To kill or seduce him? To take stuff from him? To keep him from training new Force users? So much to speculate. The Red Kyber crystal necklace could just be a keepsake reminder of the temptation of the dark side. It would be neat if the wood-carved necklace is the one Padme gave to Anakin. The crystal might not be Anakin's. It could be an older Sith's crystal.

I like the idea of the audience finding out what Luke discovered in the this next installment, but I think him "knowing everything" or having "an expansive history" of Jedi, Sith, and the Force would go against the storyline. There needs to be mystery and unanswerable questions. I feel Luke's teachings should have a profound impact on the audience like Obi-Wan and Yoda's teachings did.

I think Rey's self image will be important to the story. "I am no one" In Snoke and Kylo's words (movie and novelization), she is someone special.

I think Finn's abandonment will influence the First Order in many ways. Not sure how or why, but a single Storm Trooper turning against years of manipulation and training is a significant plot thread which needs to be woven into the story.

I have been reading the new canon. "Tarkin" is great. One of the smaller plot threads revolves around Vader's meditation chamber. It is likely Snoke has one, too, with his age and apparent damage, and it could be of importance.

The Aftermath trilogy (I'm in Life Debt) setups up the end of the Empire establishing many background characters to the movies. Two important figures in the Empire are Gallius Rex (such a great villain name) and Gen. Hux's father, which I don't know much about yet. Lastly, a revolution occurs on Coruscant which feels like it has a connection to the Knights of Ren.

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 1761

Jax replied the topic: Re:Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1st trailer)

I really look forward to this movie. I hope it's inspiring and adds to the Jedi path in a positive way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds