What is feminism, really?

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1937

Kol Drake created the topic: What is feminism, really?

Great article with a super 'cartoon' touching on many of the issues women face daily. Well worth the time to read.

>> What is feminism, really? <<

'Today's feminism ... aims to include all women, keeping in mind that women face different problems based on their race.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsjêbbe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: What is feminism, really?

This may seem like it's not about feminism -- and in one way, it is not. In another, it is all about how the world tries to push 'what is female/feminine' or what 'sells'.

>> Bring on the Female Superheroes! <<

Why is it so hard to find female superhero merchandise? In this passionate, sparkling talk, media studies scholar (and father of a Star Wars-obsessed daughter) Christopher Bell addresses the alarming lack of female superheroes in the toys and products marketed to kids — and what it means for how we teach them about the world.

And, this touches on our favorite franchise -- Star Wars-- and why we can't find any Princess Leia stuff other than adult 'metal bikinis'.

• Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: What is feminism, really?

I thought this was gonna get better when TFA had a woman as the central character, but there was a stupidly-delayed reaction to that too. www.pajiba.com/star_wars/heres-the-ugly-truth-about-exactly-why-rey-was-missing-from-star-wars-merchandise-.php

You can actually find Rey marketing and merchandise now. Now, months after the film was released.

Although, we live in a time where fandom and Teefury et al fill the niches that the media companies won't.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 151

Dustin replied the topic: What is feminism, really?

It's good that society is increasingly encouraging people of various backgrounds to speak up to add their perspective to the economy of ideas. The biggest systemic underscore, I think, is the importance of understanding and respecting consent. I will always be a proprietor of free speech though. In an open forum criticism and trolls have to come with the territory. It's impossible to differentiate between people who legitimately disagree and bullies probing for emotional weaknesses because the desire to speak up, in itself, predicates an emotional desire to hook someone's focus. Learning this means becoming secure with oneself while not just muting the descent, but vetting the descent is a lesson in and of itself, I think. Be mindful of our anxieties for anxiety leads to fear, fear leads to anger ... yadda Yoda.

In regard to the toys demand generates supply. And with the advent of camera phones, 3D printing, and other tech it's getting easier and easier for people to start their own niches. I look forward to more creative types realizing this and making their warez accessible.

I also still think feminism is the square to egalitarianism's rectangle though. One is gender, the other is everyone.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Anais Nin

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: What is feminism, really?

Yes, it is pretty cool that folks can try 3D printing to come up with things -- which the commercial market may not consider trying.

Then again, as the second video touched on -- it is a sad thing that most of the US is 'overseen' by only six major corporations -- and what the consumer 'gets' is what they believe is what 'we' should have. It chaps my hide that Disney is being such jerks about 'girls can only be pretty princesses' instead of charging ahead with 'kick butt action girls are cool too' marketing.

Of course, the IDEAL situation is as the father said -- let it be okay for boys/men to be Bronies or girls/women to be Darth Siths one day (or week or month) and a kick butt Rey or Leia the next... or Obi Won or Qui Gon Jinn ! If we stop trying to pigeonhole 'the sexes', perhaps many with uber potential will soar instead of being crushed by 'what the market and by extension society, dictates.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silver Surfer, Atticus, Jax

• Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: What is feminism, really?

At least it looks like they are correcting the stupidity of Force Awakens with Rogue. Though my daughter is too young to care. She has her little Rey toy, that's sufficient for now. :-)

• Thank you received: 137

Kai-An Tatok replied the topic: What is feminism, really?

Ooh, feminism! My favorite Jedi topic. :P

Dustin wrote: I also still think feminism is the square to egalitarianism's rectangle though. One is gender, the other is everyone.

Dustin I think that's a common perception of feminism, that it's there to help out women and only women. The thing is, the history of the two terms and what feminism has become in the modern day make that assessment increasingly untrue. Modern feminism (or 3rd wave feminism) is intersectional, which is what that first comic is talking about: taking into account the intersections of identity and privilege (or lack thereof) that people face around all parts of their identity, not just their gender. Instead of saying 'lets help all women', the goal of feminism is to take down structures of injustice that harm everyone. Taking down sexism and gender roles helps men as much as it helps women, because those are things that damage us as a society regardless of gender. Taking down racism so women of color can have the same safety and opportunity white women do is also a feminist goal, and the list goes on. The 'Fem' in feminism is merely pointing at the source of the injustice; that the view of feminine as 'less than' 'inferior' or 'property' and the way it's ingrained in the most fundamental institutions of our society, is the actual problem that needs solving.

Mostly my problem with the word 'egalitarianism' is how it tends to be used. Rarely have I ever heard it from someone who says 'yes sexism is real and needs to be fought'; it tends to be a word that I hear most often out of the mouth of mens rights activists, who are fundamentally not interested in women's rights. Basically if someone, especially someone who presents or identifies as male or masculine, uses the word 'feminism' vs. 'egalitarianism', I know they're serious, and I can count on them as an ally. It's a nice sort of quiet way to be unambiguous about your support for actual equality between the genders. Using 'feminism' points at one of the major problems, whereas 'egalitarianism' avoids mentioning what needs to be done about the issue. Those are my thoughts on it anyway. :)

"Close your eyes. Feel it. The light, it's always been there. It will guide you." -Maz Kanata
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Atticus, Jax, Victoria

This is why I want to keep a tiny copy of Katie in my pocket - to pull her out for any of these types of topics. Well said. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kai-An Tatok

• Thank you received: 46

Victoria replied the topic: What is feminism, really?

"Egalitarianism" is to "Feminism" what "All Lives Matter" is to "Black Lives Matter".

And the same people saying all lives matter are the same people that won't get feminism. An exercise in allowance for sure!

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds