What is your time worth?

• Memnoich
  • Memnoich's Avatar Topic Author
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 258

Memnoich created the topic: What is your time worth?

Synchronicity can be a powerful thing. 1year ago, almost to the day, I was fired from a Job, that I thought I would retire from, for reasons that I did not do, but could not prove my innocence. This lead me to 6 months of unemployment, that killed my savings, racked up my bills, and put me and my family in a bad way, we are still recovering. It was during that time that I decided, I never wanted this to happen again. I didn’t want to be in a situation where my life, my family’s life, depended on another person. My wife and I sat down and worked out our monthly bills, and decided we wanted, at a min, 3 months’ worth of savings to cover them. I decided, I wanted to work towards never being dependent on another person for my family’s income. I am still working towards that goal. We had already started looking at reducing bills, and our recent life changes for a healthier diet, helped to shrink our food bill as we have started trying to be more responsible for our own food. We are working towards, making the house and land we have work better for us, but that can be a slow, up front expensive, process, but we are getting there.

Today I saw two Facebook posts that stopped me in my tracks, and made me decide to write this. The above picture about how different ways to look at something, can change your view of them, and then Jackie’s post:

While at first glance, they don’t seem to have a correlation, they reminded me of a discussion we had a few years ago (wow time flies) 86400 . This was a discussion about money, at first, but the true nature was about if time was money, how would you spend it.

You see, many of us have fallen into the “I need more money, so I need to work more, to make more money, for the things I need”. Government, banks, and other people love this mentality. They don’t want you becoming self-sufficient, they don’t want you being independent, the want you to come to them for everything, they want you to give up control. Multiple discussions of “Real Jedi Temples”, the Praxeum, they all have one thing in common, being self-sufficient, providing for what we need to lower costs, to make it easier to survive, but why don’t we do this for ourselves?

Look at the first picture, now put your wage in there. Do you feel good about how that reads? How much is an Hour worth to you? How much are you missing out on of your child’s life, time you could spend with your family, time you could be spending bettering yourself, your community, discovering a new hobby, a new skill, a new passion, a new you, how much is that worth? How much do you waste at work, doing things you don’t like, for people you aren’t sure of, for purposes that don’t matter to you? How much is your time worth? This is a thought, Constantly, in my head nowadays. Jackie seems to have had this thought as well, and made her decision. I am working towards mine. My wife and I have started a small business, helping others, and sharing our experiences, that will blossom into a consistent income that won’t be the result of working for someone else, something that can make it so we aren’t reliant on keeping a boss happy, just customers. With all we have had to do without for the last year, we have really tightened our belts, so we are surviving on a lot less, if we work it out, and time it right, we might be able to semi ”retire” in a few years, and make the worth of a hour, match what I think t does.

So here’s my question, read the post 86400 , think about the equation “I sold an hour of my life for $ (insert your hourly wage)”, now tell me what an hour of your life is worth, how about 40 hours, 2 weeks, a month, a year? Are you getting what you should be, or are you settling because you have to? What could you do, would you do, if you no longer depended on someone else to take care of you and your family? What kind of person, Jedi, would you be, if you could spend that time doing something you loved, something that you wanted to do? What’s stopping you?

All of us, when we were young, had dreams and aspirations on what our lives would be like. Many of those dreams are lost to compromise as we grew older, we needed a car, a house, food, and toys, slowly we gave in to someone else’s dream for the need to live. As we became older, and had the ability to start striving towards those dreams, we no longer had them. Much like the elephant that is taught from a young age it can’t break the rope, we have been taught, we can’t get away from the noose that is working for a living.

― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead wrote: “To sell your soul is the easiest thing in the world. That's what everybody does every hour of his life. If I asked you to keep your soul - would you understand why that's much harder?”

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Atticus, Kerena (Atanaihawke)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1489

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: What is your time worth?

I read this one already yesterday but as I'm a bit stressed, at work as well as in private life - fun that, at least I, often put things this way and separate between the two - I wanted to give this some time to settle before I write my reply. But I'm still not sure if it will be more than a rambling of my current feelings and ideas.

To me, what Memnoich wrote about, it feels like that many of us and also other, non Jedi Path followers are in a similar situation. Although my situation is, obviously, different from Memnoich in the way that I'm fixed employed at a full contract which makes it more or less save for me to get a monthly income the questions I'm asking myself and dealing with are similar.
How can I get independent from a system I feel doesn't serve my best interest or those of my family?
How can I become independent from others "good will"? - This doesn't me getting rid of people, just not need to relay on them. -

For me my way into independence has started in 2013 when I decided to start another education of which the outcome is to become self-employed as a Feng Shui Consultant. Over the last couple of years I did two education courses and now am in the position to set-up my business and get my feet wet and running in it. This is, in general my plan and goal, although I have to adjust it now and take it a bit easy as we, my wife and I, will get our first child in August. Furthermore I'm now in a sort of frame-contract which made it possible for me to take a one year paid holiday and now have to to payback the money to my company for the next three years. Because of this situation I will start my Feng Shui business as a sort of side business. This will have the advantage for me to not need to jump into the cold water but fist can test it and when I have a good feeling for how it can and does work out I will finally make the full transition into self-employment.
This then, obviously, will have the benefit that I'm fully responsible for everything I do but it also gives me the freedom to make my own, independent decisions. So, once I'm able to make Feng Shui my business, I'm not only doing something in which I have a high interest in but I also have a strong feeling of that with this work I can do good for others which is one of the most important things I'm targeting for. Through my work I wish to help to improve the lives of others.

But to get back to the starting questions, what I did so far to improve my life and my situation had been that I moved closer to my company which lead to reducing commuting time from 1,5 hours to only 20 min. per way. Even better as I now can do the whole way by bicycle which makes me independent of any public transportation. Further more moving closer to work also settled us in a smaller city where rents are cheaper which means that for the same money plus the saved money from commuting, I now can afford an apartment which is about twice the size of my old one. This does give my family and me enough space to live comfortable. Furthermore it also provides me with the space, we have one bigger balcony and a sort of winter garden, to go into window farming and similar concepts which should help to get a bit more independent from shops.
Another big point is to ask questions to increase my awareness about things and if I really need them or if it is only an instilled, imposed feeling from the media and not an actual need. Here I feel it is similar to the concept of downgrading and getting rid of unnecessary stuff.
Finally, although this is nothing really new for me, I constantly make myself clear that my highest priority in life is my family, my own health and a life which I feel does add to the good and growth of mankind.

As Memnoich has put it in his post, I strongly recommend everyone to become aware, aware of what is really yours, what are really your feelings and needs, which do come from outside sources, do you really want to buy them if they are not yours. Make decision and be aware of what you are doing and what might be the possible outcome. Don't buy in the things spread through media, politics and society. Make up your mind and create your own opinion and when you act, act from this position.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Memnoich, Kerena (Atanaihawke)

• Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: Re:What is your time worth?

Even as I have had very little money come in these last two weeks I have zero interest in a job. As I commit to building businesses things show up to help. I just have to keep putting in the effort and doing the actions needed to put things in place. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kerena (Atanaihawke)

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds