Where do I go from here?

• JohnRoss00
  • JohnRoss00's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2

JohnRoss00 created the topic: Where do I go from here?

Hi,

Firstly, what a fantastic set of forums for like-minded individuals to converse in many areas of life!

I've been at a crossroads in my lift for a long time now, where I'm stuck in the mundane rules of life, work, and family. I've felt like something has been missing within myself for a long time now, and I can't seem to find my spark anymore, or even what that spark may have been at one point. The complacency of my life has seem to have erased parts of myself, that could in fact hold they key to my happiness.

I'm also a person where I seem to start things, and never finish them. The amount of books, videos, and articles I've bought/read, and not actually finished is staggering. It seems to start off well, then I lose interest, and try a new "thing". I think it may be due to trying not to miss out on anything, or finding that this may not be the path for me. I've even tried to enrol myself in the Jedi Realist Studies, but even that fell through my fingers.

I've always wanted to do great things, but alas I lack in areas of communication (due to a speech dis-fluency), which is really important in our society - especially when selling yourself to someone. I tried to receive help in this area, and ended up regressing back to my old habits, which was unfortunate.

Any advice on where to go from here?

Thanks for reading my post, and any advice!

notetaker888
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: Where do I go from here?

I'm not big on advice, but I picked up on this:

Ross wrote: I'm also a person where I seem to start things, and never finish them.

This Path is one step at a time. One meditation at a time. One meal at a time. One assignment at a time. A central concept that many of us subscribe to is the idea that all we have is this moment, the eternal Now. Can't change what's past, can't predict what's yet to come. The only thing that matters is being completely present in the Now. Does that mean we don't set goals? Not at all. But what matters is not how far we've come along the Path or how much we have yet to do, but whether we are putting one foot in front of the other and pointed in the right direction.

As far as the coursework goes, if it helps, almost everything we do here is self-paced. Some people take weeks to finish the Intro course; others churn through it in a few hours. How long it takes you is much less important than how well you internalize the lessons and put them to use in your life. One meditation, one meal, one assignment at a time.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Where do I go from here?

I second what Atticus has said.

The only thing I would add is to pick something and pursue it. There are going to be lots of things in life you pursue and then lose interest in. Not everything you find is meant to hold your interest indefinitely.

My recommendation is pick something you still feel you enjoy (ie Jedi Studies) and pursue it, even on days when you are not interested. Set aside a specific time every night to meditate or work on course work. As you do this, you will organically begin to understand yourself and your interests, what ever they may be.

Its all about motivation vs discipline. Motivation is what takes us to any interesting topic, and because of that energy and enthusiasm, we pursue things relentlessly but sometimes we lose that motivation. It doesn't mean the love is gone, it just means we need to refocus and add discipline.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Memnoich

• Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: Where do I go from here?

I'm confused. What do you mean by this?

I've even tried to enrol myself in the Jedi Realist Studies, but even that fell through my fingers.

I don't see an application from you in my email. That's all that it takes to enroll.

Perhaps part of the issue is you aren't working with people. That makes it entirely too easy to walk away from something rather than stick with it until it becomes a habit. That's the value of working with teachers and students and a system. There are smaller goals and accountability. A book isn't going to remind you it hasn't been read in two weeks, but we will remind you that you are in the middle of a course after two weeks. ;-) That makes it easier to progress.

• JohnRoss00
  • JohnRoss00's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2

JohnRoss00 replied the topic: Where do I go from here?

I appreciate all of your kind words.
I think you are all right, and that I need to take it one step at a time. The first step is always the hardest with making sure you are going in the right direction.
Jax: I didn't mean any disrespect to you, or the Jedi Realist Studies School. I was implying that even after registering, I let it go. :(

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Where do I go from here?

Just some things to mull over as you try to find your "right" step.

• Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: Where do I go from here?

But Ross, you haven't registered! You joined as a member of the site, but you haven't applied for training. That's the next step, to actually get started with training. Then you'll get the workbook and do the first assignment. Then you take another step and do the next assignment, or reply to the comments from the first assignment. And one step at a time like that will take you all the way to your goals. But if you don't take the first step to apply to be a student you will find it even easier to walk away.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds