Increasing general participation publicly

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1849

Jax created the topic: Increasing general participation publicly

The faculty have been discussing how to increase general participation on the forums for a while now. We have great participation privately in courses, which is of course our primary focus. But that doesn't translate into public forum usage. We'd all like to understand why. For all of you who aren't faculty, please help us out. What types of posts would draw you in to posting? Would you like to see posts that share little training tips or exercises? Do you notice the new posts when you visit, such as the daily diamond quotes? Would a weekly or bi-weekly email highlighting new threads make it easier to remember to check out the rest of the forum? Do you feel you don't have anything to add to a thread? Or something else entirely?

The reason we ask is because many times prospective members judge whether a site is active by what is publicly available. Since a non-student can't see the private training area, they don't realize that we are actively training and building more material. Our focus is on creating course content for you, rather than posting things on the forum. But as you may have noticed, we're making a concerted effort to post things to read and think about on the forum daily. Yet very few members are responding. What would it take to increase that?

I'd prefer to discuss it here, but if you don't feel comfortable feel free to privately message a faculty member you are comfortable with and you can be included anonymously.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix), Johannes (Yoshio)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 87

Kai Sabu replied the topic: Increasing general participation publicly

I like the daily gratitude thread, and I enjoy reading the Daily Diamond (I subscribed to both, which makes it a lot easier to stay on top of them). I'll make a point of responding to the diamond once in a while! As a newcomer, I find those sorts of "low-stakes" posts a comfortable way to increase my interaction in the forums.

I like the idea of a regular email highlighting threads.

--Kelly

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Increasing general participation publicly

Thanks! Yes, I've found it's really helpful to subscribe to boards. Otherwise it is too easy to miss something that I want to see. Thanks for bringing that up. There may be some who aren't aware of that option.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1893

Kol Drake replied the topic: Increasing general participation publicly

Re: e-newletters --

Perhaps highlighting a post topic or series of threads which touch on a particular topic or Star Wars character? Under some forum sections, we go 10 or more pages 'deep' with posts/threads -- and some are as pertinent today as they were when posted several years ago.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Increasing general participation publicly

I don't mind that at all. However, I don't have time to do it. If you have a thread (or a list of them) to highlight, send them my way and I'll throw them into a little newsletter. :-)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

I'll dig about some.
It's been a few months since I did any 'deep dives' into the forums. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 530

Connor replied the topic: Increasing general participation publicly

Low stakes posts are great. But, we're still not seeing a lot of participation in them. What would encourage you to post every day?

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

8 years (and more) ago, folks would post that which was a 'burning question' and if it was one many others had also thought upon or experienced... folks would all chime in.

More than 8 years ago, many concerned the basis of the IJRS 'philosophy' and how the movies could be used as the springboard to making 'every day life lessons as a Jedi'.

We still have folks coming onboard who have issues with balance, centering, finding inner peace, being TOO empathic, being shut down, etc. Many identified with 'being Jedi' because they already had been discovering about the knights of the round table, samurai / ninjas / bushido, heroes of old who stood for honor, honesty, gallantry, etc. and deciding that 'being Jedi' fit that mold for modern life. However, I am not certain they are even digging 8-10 layers deep to SEE those discussions which have 1-2k views and several pages of comments and responses. Nor do I believe the latest movie gave them 'that hook' thematically to equate 'being Jedi' with those other 'hero's journey' associations.

The 'new movie' was a nice retcon of the original episode 4 / 5 but... it spoke next to nothing about the Force (other than the emo demonstrations from the Sith side) and really wasn't the 'wild rollercoast ride' of the original 4th. Which is fine. A 'new movie' for a new century, etc. BUT, I don't know if it brings folks forward to ask -- hey, what is the deal with that chick and the Force? Why was that guy so emo? Are all stormtroopers black now? It has been more like.... well, that was a nice movie... let's hope the next one tells me something more.

So... along with the daily quotes and 'inspirational posters' -- perhaps we need to go back to the basics and consider what folks MIGHT be looking for by coming to a 'Being a Jedi in the real world' site. What do they hope to find 'here' as opposed to a religious site or some other philosophy or hobby? Maybe it is time to go over those 10-15 layers of 'topics' and start earmarking them into categories beyond 'general'... or have folders which are 'Empaths / Empathy' and 'Mediations' and such... Maybe dusting off some of the most read threads will shine new light on topics new folks are still wrestling with.... while the 'old timers' have been there/done that and are searching for their own 'next steps on the Path'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Connor, Anirac Morgan

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Increasing general participation publicly

I would love a weekly email thread highlight some of the new topics.

For me it's a mater of time (as I have posted in my training journal). There are so many things going on in my life, sometimes I don't check in here for a week or so. Sometimes I check in and there are a whole list of new topics and something catches my interest, but when I click on it I realize I don't have the time and/or energy to read the whole post and come up with a response. When I come back frequently that post is gone from the Recent Forum posts bar on the left hand side. For example I haven't seen the Daily Diamonds (which I love!) in a long time, and nothing has shown up in the bar. I thought perhaps Connor had stopped with them. I would love to find more light posts like the Daily Diamond. Addiotnally, is there a way to subscribe without having responded to a thread so I can come back to it later on the days I am too tired to read? I would love that.

I would also love some more "back to basics" posts and Kol describes them.

We still have folks coming onboard who have issues with balance, centering, finding inner peace, being TOO empathic, being shut down, etc.

<< That's me. I find it hard enough to keep up with everything in my life on a daily basis. I will also admit that after sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours, the last thing I want to do is turn my computer on when I get home and go real deep into anything. I am also frequently asking Kol for links to articles on some of the basics, since he seems to know all the forums and I certainly don't have time to sit and browse through the vast trove on knowledge and discussions on here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kiddo... I have no life... so I haunt the archives. I am the Jedi equivalent of the original Ghostbusters' 'Gray Lady of the Library'. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds