Pirating/Book Sharing

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor created the topic: Pirating/Book Sharing

Because of a series of discussions from another Jedi site, I have been thinking about content creation and pirating.

I used to be a big pirate. I would download series after series. I would get countless PDFs from people. I have probably stolen thousands of dollars of material over the years.

And, I have begun to really despise this part of my past. Nowadays, in the past few months, I have been trying to wean down on my stealing of materials from websites and torrents.

I believe that Jedi follow the Law of the Land. And, even more liberally, the spirit of the law.

So, if I torrent a book to skim through it to see if I'll like it, and I then go straight out and buy it, then I feel ok.

Because of this, I have begun seriously using my library system (my city and university) and buying used books. Both of these are perfectly legal.

I wanted to start a discussion... how can we, as Jedi, best honor content creators WITHOUT becoming legalistic and making people pay extraordinary amounts for books and training materials?

For example, one system (Access Consciousness) charges 600 dollars for some of their manuals/classes. Sometimes more like 1-2000. But, on the other hand, you CAN get a lot of the teachings for a small price if you buy books like Being You, Changing the World (normal book price).

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: Pirating/Book Sharing

Those are two different things. Courses are priced based on their value. Books tend to be market driven. I've gladly paid $1000 for a 3 day course. But I don't always. I also gladly pay $10 for a book. Yet I get annoyed when I pay $30 because I'm used to paying 10-15. lol You younger folks got used to getting things for free, without realizing that you were making it difficult for the very people you enjoyed to make a living. And I get it, when I was poor I wanted things and didn't want to have to wait to buy them. I also tried to buy when I could. Now I never illegally download. I am able to afford things and do so knowing that my contribution is going to the creator of the content that I value.

My recommendation is to utilize libraries as much as possible. Interlibrary Loan can find so many things for you so you aren't limited to your local availability. That includes cds and movies. And then, when something really contributes to you, try to buy it. Ask for it as a gift if you can't afford it. And encourage others to do the same. There will always be those who pirate, but if it's made less socially acceptable there will be fewer who do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Rebekah, Kai Sabu

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Pirating/Book Sharing

Don't focus on my AC example. I was just offering that there is sometimes a big difference in price in materials.

And I get it, when I was poor I wanted things and didn't want to have to wait to buy them.

I think we young folk don't understand it. And, this is HIGHLY important.

Great recommendations.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

I think what would help the most is education. We look at these famous people and assume they are rich so they won't care about our $10. But that adds up quickly. Plus, they often are in debt to the company that recorded the album or made the movie, so they aren't really rich. Much of that is borrowed.

• Thank you received: 87

Kai Sabu replied the topic: Pirating/Book Sharing

As a librarian, I heartily concur that utilizing your library system(s) and interlibrary loan are the way to go as much as possible!

I did some pirating in high school and college, back in the glory days of Napster and its ilk. I haven't pirated anything in about ten years-- though I confess that I've occasionally ripped CDs that have been lent to me, so it's splitting hairs, and I am certainly not blameless.

When I talk about "information ethics" and "intellectual property" to my university's students, I use Taylor Swift as an example. She's an artist familiar to our 18-year-olds, and she has also spoken out about the value of intellectual property and the damage that artists have sustained as a result of widespread piracy. She's been quoted as saying "The value of an album is, and will continue to be, based on the amount of heart and soul an artist has bled into a body of work, and the financial value that artists (and their labels) place on their music when it goes out into the marketplace." ( time.com/3554468/why-taylor-swift-spotify/ ) If she were a crafter who made and sold crocheted scarves, it would be wrong to steal those. What she creates is her music, and it's also wrong to steal that.

--Kelly
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Exactly! Education is the key for most. There will always be those who steal without remorse. But far more common is those who steal because they don't realize it is stealing and causing harm. And since many things are now digital, it's harder to connect a non-physical object to the concept of stealing. One of my personal goals is to create a course of some sort to help Jedi change their money situations so they don't 'need' to steal, but can purchase anything they wish. It's a long term goal, but there are so many benefits to the planet when we can have fair exchanges.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds