SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

There is always a pivotal death in the first movie of a SW trilogy. See: Kenobi, Jinn.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

Connor (Zeref) wrote: There is always a pivotal death in the first movie of a SW trilogy. See: Kenobi, Jinn.

Truth. Plus, there is the father-son dynamic that runs through the whole OT. Luke was ready to kill his father until the time came to actually do it, until he threw his saber aside and said he wouldn't. Also, if you see Ren as a Jacen-analogue, he has to kill someone meaningful, and Luke is a bachelor now. ;)

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

We assume Luke is a bachelor. It's highly likely Rey will end up his daughter.

My theory is that Finn is force sensitive as well, though not as powerful. It's why he awakened on his first mission in spite of his training. And is why he could fight so well without training. And there are many myths where a person doesn't fully awaken to their power until it is needed. But clearly Rey had been touching the Force without realizing it throughout her life. How else does she survive on her own for so long?

• Thank you received: 1489

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

These are, for sure, all very good and valid points. It is just my feeling of how this does present the Jedi or the Force in the new movie(s). After watching this one, my feeling is a bit like "Hey, I tell you what, there is the Force and if You believe in it it is all yours!"
For me the problem with that is, it is very much the "quality" of our time. Everything is easy to get and if it is not easy to get, it is not worth to try it at all.
Non the less, as I said, I was, in general, pleased with what I saw and I'm dearly looking forward to how Disney will progress and develop this sort of "new" story.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I'm sure there will be some tough training moments in the next film, both for Kylo and Daisy.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

You mean Kylo and Rey? ;-) I am sooooooo looking forward to that.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

They're all one and the same to me (actor and character) lol.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

hahaha if only

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1937

Kol Drake replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

Atticus -- yes, Luke only had a few hours, maybe stretch it and call it a day with Obi Wan Kenobi... but, from the time beyond "That's good/ You've taken your first step into a larger world." -- it is THREE years between episode 4 and 5. Luke (in the now authorized 'canon' books) learns to move noodles and levitate spoons and forks so by episode 5, he can 'Force pull' his lightsaber out of the ice (( gee... just like they staged in VII )) and paying more attention to his 'intuition'/force connections to run off to Dagobah to find Master Yoda. How long was Luke with Yoda in the swamp? Maybe a week or two at best? And then, another year passes between the end of ep. 5 and episode 6 where he is now considered to be a Jedi Knight. imo, there should have been many 'dreams' or Force visits from Yoda, Obi Wan, and even Qui Gon during the 'years between movies' so that Luke was not just making it up as he went along or trusting his training to 'rumors about the Jedi' as his basis for training / learning.

Jax -- not to claim any uber knowledge but I suspect Rey is NOT kin to Luke Skywalker but is rather a family tree branch from Obi Wan Kenobi. He had to do something in the desert beside count grains of sand while Luke grew up. And a son or daughter could easily marry and have someone about Rey's age in VII. Plus, she has an accent similar to Ewan's (young Kenobi) AND has a similar lightsaber style... note how she 'spear and circle parries'... very Obi Wan. She also took to the Falcon rather easily. More 'Force inspired' help through the family connection? One last 'maybe'. Even though Rey was 'called by the lightsaber' -- which made many automatically ASSUME she was kin to Skywalker -- don't forget that Obi Wan had that same lightsaber for the 18-20 years while Luke went from baby to teen/young adult. So, that particular saber had been imprinted by Anakin, Obi Wan, AND Luke before being stashed in that wooden chest.

AND, even though the black actor has an accent in real life, they made it 'not there' so as to contrast against Rey... perhaps to highlight those Kenobi bread crumbs?

As Yoshio noted, it does seem like this was a 'modernized' version of episode 4 -- we had sand, big ships, stormtroopers, a dark leader, anger issues, lots of running and exploding, a cute droid, wild flying and escapes, father figures (and death of father figure -- figuratively and literally), dark emperors (( won't it be a kick if his holograms are giant but in reality he's some species which is only two feet tall? VERY wizard of Oz-ian ))

Lightsaber fights were less orchestrated and more 'beat and swing and hope it does something' instead of pretty dances and useless moves. ... which was a good thing. No need to 'be trained' when you use it like a blue club/stick.

Tons of symbology -- the earthquake splitting the ground between victorious Rey before she went all dark side and ended idiot in black.
Speaking of -- what a cry baby... with anger issues (all that destruction of controls/property when things didn't go his way!) And a REALLY crappy headpiece/facemask. What I suppose was imagined as 'fear inspiring' looked like a failed goth-y steampunk mask to me.

And last bit of 'wondering' --- George Lucas originally had the main 'hero' be the cocky fighter pilot who became 'background' Wedge in ep. 4. We got him back as 'menage a trois' of a hero between Rey, Finn, and flyboy.

I *did* wince when Rey first piloted the MF. Every time it got a ding I cringed. POS spaceship can take a beating and keeps on flying true.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Atticus

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1937

Kol Drake replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

One (more) minor rant -- The Force really does NOT work that way. ( in a few movie moments )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds