SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1900

Jax created the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

This thread allows us to discuss the movie without spoiling it for others. You have been warned. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

I'm not big on hyperanalyzing the fiction, so my take aways are likely different than others. Here's what I enjoyed.
1. Female Jedi
This is huge. A whole generation of little girls will grow up with Rey as an inspiration. I can't wait to see my little girl grow up and watch Rey be a badass. I especially liked how they addressed the standard tropes of grabbing the girl's hand to run which always bugs me. How does that help? Isn't it slower? lol So to have her address it directly, and then turn around to grab Finn and pick him up, with a proper wrist to wrist hold was a nice touch.
2. Black lead
Having a person of color in a main role is very rare, so this is also great for kids of color growing up. Representation matters.

And both of these characters were simply good. They weren't good female/black characters, but characters who were good and happened to be female/black. I also enjoyed other new characters.

I need to take care of the baby, so I will leave this here.

• Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

I know it was in one of the trailers, but when I saw Han telling Rey and Finn, "It's all true. The Force, the Jedi, all of it. It's all true."

. . . well, I'm not afraid to admit I was moved.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re:SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

The belonging you seek is not behind you but ahead

The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus

• Thank you received: 48

Streen replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

Atticus wrote: I know it was in one of the trailers, but when I saw Han telling Rey and Finn, "It's all true. The Force, the Jedi, all of it. It's all true."
. . . well, I'm not afraid to admit I was moved.

Same here :) The look in Rey's and Fin's eyes was priceless.

The belonging you seek is not behind you but ahead

Was that statement in the movie? It sounds vaguely familiar. I was thinking that Maz said it.

"When you’re deluded, every statement is an ulcer; when you’re enlightened, every word is wisdom."
— Zhiqu

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

Yes, Maz told that to Rey after the lightsaber calling her.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

Please, please use this everywhere you can.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix), Jax

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re:SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

Hahaha

• Thank you received: 1489

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

I saw the movie last Saturday and what should I say!? I'm bit bias. I liked the new characters as already mentioned by Jax and as Atticus said the scene with Han Solo when he tells them that it is all true, I couldn't resist to speak it along in my mind. ;)
As it is the first of another two or maybe even more movies done by Disney, I have to say it was better than expected and much more along the line of the "original" trilogy. With this situation I'm fully aware that my expectation for it and the story had to not be met as they need to get the story going but also need to hold something back for the other movies which there are to come. So, Disney did really a good job on getting it going again and making me and I'm pretty sure also others wanting for more!
But still there had been things I really didn't like and my hope is that there will be a sort of explanation in the later movies. But why needed Han Solo to die? More or less cold bloodily killed by his own son? How did Rey figure it all out, I mean, how to use the force without having had a single teaching received about it besides that what Maz told her? How can both, Rey and Finn more or less easily fight Ren who, at that point, is already a somewhat trained fallen Jedi and the next Dark Lord? And last but not lest the whole movie reminded me quite a bit on the Episodes IV to VI in the way of that there is a non trained Force sensitive who is going to be a Jedi, a guy who comes from the "wrong" site just to find out that he cannot live with that and therefore finds himself helping the light site although he just want to get away from the dark site and a, in this case, father, how is all out to convince his son that there is still good in him to only fail, at least that is what we see in this movie, and get killed himself and finally falling down the "duct". For me all that felt a bit like as if Disney wanted to give a kind of short summary of the Episodes IV to VI in this Episode VII.

Anyway, bottom line for me is, the movie was much better than expected and I'm looking forward to what there is to come!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Atticus

• Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: SPOILERS discuss Force Awakens here

Y'know, brother, I have been thinking about how Rey goes from zero to sixty as a Jedi as well. But the fact is that is that Luke did the same. He had, what, a few hours with Ben on the way to Alderaan? That was enough to enable him to trust the Force to blow up the Death Star and levitate his saber out of the ice to defeat the Wampa. He had, what, a few days or maybe weeks with Yoda on Dagobah? That was enough to make him able to fight Darth Vader to a standstill and make him the founder of an entirely new generation of Jedi (something the new films are keeping from the discarded EU). The new film harks back to the original trilogy, when it was possible to simply open your mind to the possibility and allow the Force to work its magic from there. No midichlorians, no training from age 2, no formalized apprenticeships. That was all stuff we allowed to be imprinted from the prequels.

I liken this to my own training. I have learned much on my Path, I won't deny it, but the basics are what I got from Jax and Inari and Kol in those first few weeks after I committed myself. When one is open to receiving the Force, the changes come rapidly.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds