Alternatives to Facebook

• Thank you received: 244

Baru created the topic: Alternatives to Facebook

Do you have any recommendations on alternatives to Facebook?

I find it interesting that FB is targeting Jedi oriented accounts and names. They chose to remove my page for me. This is a social media site. This is for my own use. Why does FB feel it has the need to control how people express themselves or name themselves.

For this reason, I would like to find a more socially acceptable and friendly place to connect with people.

What do you think?

We are the Force.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1939

Kol Drake replied the topic: Alternatives to Facebook

FB has been doing purges -- since it still makes most of it's income from selling peoples' personal data -- it feels that anyone not using their 'real name' is one less income stream to exploit. So, they are blocking 'aliases' and forcing everyone to use their real names. (though I know there are plenty of people who use other names instead of their own... it's just FB being stupid imo.)

• Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: Re:Alternatives to Facebook

I don't think there really is one. Google + is likely it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Alternatives to Facebook

So far, Google+ hasn't made these kinds of weird demands or gone on any witch hunts (that I know of).

G+ is a powerful site too. I really need to use it more. Jackie knows a bit about it.

It is the ONLY "replacement" for Facebook right now. You will need to have a gmail address. But, you can sign up for one under your spiritual name or business. We have an IJRS G+ page. I am friends with at least 60 Jedi, so they are on there.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Thank you received: 244

Baru replied the topic: Alternatives to Facebook

have you heard of these?
Ning
Bebo
Friendster
Tagged

I have a G+. I am wondering if people actually use it?
I do find that coordinating social media can be a full time job.
I do my best to work: youtube, g+, twitter, and linkedin. And I am contemplating what to do about FB.

is there an other social media that you think is important or "growing"?

We are the Force.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1939

Kol Drake replied the topic: Alternatives to Facebook

The immediate 'go to' alternative most articles point to is g+

... but here is part of an list from hubpages --

Current Facebook Rivals

There are literally hundreds of social networks, including quite a lot of 10 million + member networks. Different countries and regions have different social networks which are popular (douban in China, Cyworld in South Korea, Mixi in Japan etc etc.). In the Western world however there are several large social networking alternatives to Facebook:

Pinterest - Pinterest revolves around the concept of 'pinning' interesting photos, web pages, articles and other content onto virtual noticeboards, then sharing them with people. You can create different pinboards for different interests, events, collections or whatever you want. You can view things on other people's pinboards, and repin them on your own boards. In 2013, Pinterest had 70 million users, and is growing rapidly. Read my article about it here - A Look at Pinterest - The Hot New Social Network

Twitter - While smaller and more narrow in focus, twitter is hardly an also ran, it is growing at least as fast as Facebook and is causing quite a lot of waves, with a well publicised role in revolutionary movements in Egypt, Iran and other countries.

LinkedIn - Linked-in is a Professional social networking site with approximately 80 million users worldwide. Good for maintaining professional contacts with colleagues, clients and others. Also used for recruiting work and employees.

MySpace - Originally the big name in social networking. It is most popular with young people, and has 100 million + members. Following a re-branding, it is now specifically stated as being music orientated and targeting young people.

Bebo - General social networking site with around 117 million users. Bebo stands for Blog Early, Blog Often. Users get their own profile page and can add photos, blogs, videos and questionnaires amongst other things.

Habbo - Social networking site for teenagers. 200 million users. Habbo was previously called Habbo Hotel, and mimics a virtual hotel which users enter. They can chat in chat rooms that are mocked up to be cinemas, restaurants and dance clubs, with virtual bots bringing you drinks or serving at your table.

Tagged - Social networking site with 100 million users. It was the subject of significant controversy in 2009 for allegedly accessing member's email accounts and repeatedly sending invites to all of their email contacts.

Tumblr - Tumblr is part blog and part social networking site. Users can create their own blogs and follow other people's blogs in a similar way to social networks. As of February 2012, it had 46 million blogs on it's site, and more than 18 billion posts.

The Next Big Thing in Social Networking

Or the new kids on the block. There are many pretenders to Facebook's crown, but to really have any major effect on Facebook's hegemony, newcomers have to have a different take on the social networking theme, their own unique selling point, something that makes them stand out from the crowd. Here are just a few of the contenders.

Four Square - If there is one thing that deserves the label 'next big thing in social networking' it is location based services. There has certainly been a lot of noise about it recently. Location based services are mobile phone based, where the game or app recognises your location and uses that. In Four Square you collect badges for visiting different places, you can even become 'mayor' of places like your local coffee shop by being the person who visits most often. Location based services are starting to be used by shops and other businesses to offer vouchers to those visiting.

Diaspora - This is a new social network, still in development phase, which gives you full ownership and control of all data, photos, writing etc which you put on there. This is in contrast to Facebook, that effectively uses your data however it likes after you've put it on there.

Path - Path is a social network which limits you to 50 friends. The idea of this is to be able to share your photos, thoughts, your life really, with just the people you are closest to. It is based on the theory, that people generally only really trust at most about 50 people.

Looking for a Different Kind of Social Network? Try Harnu!

Harnu is a different breed of social network entirely from most of the rest covered on this page. It aims to connect people from different countries, so we can find out more about different countries and the people that live in them. Each person is registered as from the country they live in which makes it easy to ask questions of others, and answer questions about your country if you wish!

As an example, say you are from the USA and you want a question answered by someone in Nigeria. Maybe you are looking to travel there, start doing business with the country, or just want to find out what it is like to live their. You then ask a question to people in Nigeria, and someone (possibly several people) will write responses. Likewise, people from other countries might ask questions about the USA, which you will be able to view and answer if you wish. A very simple, but clever idea. It is still in its infancy, but has potential to really get the people of the world talking to each other, which can't be a bad thing.

So, plenty to try -- some might be better suited than others depending on need / practicality of use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baru

• Thank you received: 14

Xhaiden replied the topic: Alternatives to Facebook

I know this is a really blatant plug..lol, the forum system I am using for Jediism Way has a Facebook like feature called status updates which is like a Facebook Lite. It is through the main site but I have been trying to make it stand a bit more on its own for the very reason of what Facebook is doing. It can be viewed by going to www.jedistream.org and is connected to our main site. Just another option though we are still young in our new reincarnation so activity still isn't very much but was hoping to push this as a viable Jedi Facebook type option :)

• Thank you received: 92

shea (shlomit) replied the topic: Alternatives to Facebook

FB is not targeting Jedi. Its just has a very strict policy of honesty. That is one way of preventing people from creating multiple account to harass people with. The reason I can be sure of that is that it happened to my account a long time ago when my name was just Shlomit lazn, for privacy reasons. They closed my account until I changed it (which caused a lot of problems). I added "ow" to my name they have opened it again. There is too many people using fake identities for them to take chances. I am not saying that you or anyone else in the Jedi community are part of something like what they are looking for, but you need to take in to account their responsibility of creating a friendly and safe network for everybody. :r2d2

..."Paper is dead without words
Ink idle without a poem
All the world dead without stories
Without love and disarming beauty

Careless realism costs souls"....(-Nightwish)

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Alternatives to Facebook

I got around this problem by using my "Christian name" as my fb profile. I go by Connor Martin on FB, and I've had less than zero problems with it. Plus, nobody can find me unless I want them to. lol. Or, they know a bunch of my friends.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Thank you received: 2

Mathias Garcia replied the topic: Alternatives to Facebook

Ello is a good site. Unfortunately not many people use it.
:jedi ello.co :jedi

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds