Survival and Preparedness Skills.

• David Litts
  • David Litts's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8

David Litts created the topic: Survival and Preparedness Skills.

Hello all:

I thought I would post a few questions to get all Jedi thinking about things, well things sometimes we would rather not think about but they are important..

How would year deal with a natural or man made disaster?

Do you have all you need to feed yourself, and family for at least 7 days?

Do you know how to purify water, dispose of human waste if your find yourself in a situation where you have no water and working toilets?

If you are lost in the wilderness do you have the knowledge and skills to build a shelter, start a fire with what you find, purify water, and provide for security?

Can you identify plants and hunt and trap?

Do you know how to read a map and use a compass if needed?

These are all very important skills that I believe everyone, especially a Jedi Should know. I believe we should know the basics of Wilderness and Urban Survival, and in the US judging from the Government's response to Katrina and other disasters it is important that we are self reliant as possible..

I am a retired Firefighter Paramedic, severed with the GA Department of Defense and taught these skills to deploying soldiers, and I run a Civil Preparedness Group in GA. We train anyone who wants to learn these skills for free, so that when bad times come they can help themselves, family, neighbors and their community.

So here is the question I have for all interested. If I create a Private Facebook group posting videos on how to prepare and learn the skills I listed above would anyone here be interested, and is this something you would like to see?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Survival and Preparedness Skills.

Yes, I'd love to see videos of that stuff.

Also, we teach Situational Awareness here at the Institute. It (and its subsequent courses) covers a lot of these topics.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Litts

• Thank you received: 1489

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Survival and Preparedness Skills.

First of all, as Connor already said, many of those questions You raised here are content of our "Situational Awareness Courses" although the first one is now in a state to be revisited. So, I'm really interested in what You think of this course after You have taken it and if You see points which could be improved. Maybe and who knows in the future You might even write a course for the IJRS in this area based on your experiences.

As for the videos, aye, I would be very much interested in seeing them but for that I would need to ask You for a favour! As I'm not a Facebook user and not willing to become one, I would be very happy, should You make those videos, to also present it somewhere else where non Facebook users also could see them (for example YouTube, Vimeo or other sites).

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• David Litts

David Litts replied the topic: Survival and Preparedness Skills.

Yoshio: I will I will work on creating a Youtube Channel, and keep it for the Institute Members. I want to make this as easy as possible so that all can get different ideas, and I find that folks tend to understand more watching the videos. For the group I teach in GA, I send them assignments before we go on Field Training Exercises, and suggest that they try some of the skills in their yard if able then we hit the field and see what works and what does no and help folks improve.

We have a lot of fun with a lot of laughs, but all seem to get what they came for. I have read into the Situational Awareness Course which I will take as I progress, and as has been said hopefully I can assist in giving some of my experiences.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

• David Litts

David Litts replied the topic: Survival and Preparedness Skills.

Connor I replied to Yoshio and will make them available as time permits. Thanks for the reply

• Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: Re:Survival and Preparedness Skills.

I think YouTube would be best. The videos coil be embedded into posts in the training area which would also allow discussion. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds