Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - 86400 - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Johannes (Yoshio)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 1500

Johannes (Yoshio) created the topic: 86400

Here is a question we had been asked by the teacher of the martial art seminar I had been too this last weekend (2012-11-24/25).

Imagine you do have a bank account in which every day goes the sum of 86400 and it doesn't matter what you do with that money, every day at midnight it will be cleared to zero. But already at the next day another 86400 goes in the account.

The question now is, what would you do with that amount!?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: 86400

I'd wonder why that number. It seems so arbitrary. lol But basically, at that point I would live without ever considering the monetary cost of something, I would simply focus on what feels right for each situation and act on it.

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: 86400

Thanks for the question, Jax, although I don't want to answer it now. Just that much, the number is, obviously, not that arbitrary as it might seem at first sight.
If you can find out where this number comes from or to what it is linked, the question would become a much deeper meaning! ;)

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
NerdFitness Profile

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 258

Memnoich replied the topic: 86400

since that is how many seconds in a day, it would be about getting a dollar a second. As for the use, aside from making sure that I and my family are taken care of, I would make sure, as best as possible, that none of that money would go to waste. I would play Robin Hood/Santa Claus, doing what I could to help out those in need. Paying off debt, buying food, picking up a vehicle, helping with hospital bills. If the money were to never end, and I knew it, I would try and make the world a better place.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

What if that's basically how the universe already works? What if limitation is only in our mind/perspective? What if all it takes to have all the prosperity we desire is to release all of those limiting beliefs? ;-)

Given the number relates to time, I still don't see it as significant in how it relates to money. However, jumping over to time and how we spend it, rather than focusing on money, does that change anything? How much time to we waste because we know more is coming? What if we treated time a bit more like money, in that it is limited (at least in this lifetime) and thought of money more like we think of time, perhaps our lives would be in better alignment. We would appreciate time more and stop stressed so much about money.

Aaaaaaaand... does anyone else have Seasons of Love from Rent in their head now? lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Memnoich, Dustin

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 258

Memnoich replied the topic: 86400

Jax wrote: Aaaaaaaand... does anyone else have Seasons of Love from Rent in their head now? lol

Luckily, no.

Unfortunately, for most, its not that simple. Like I said before, after making sure me and my family is taken care of, I would work to better mankind, but we don't really have the 86400 seconds fully to ourselves. When changing to time, the equation changes. For one, figure on 8 hrs for sleep, and 3 hours for food, that's 39600 seconds that we really don't have alot of control over, now you could say that the 3 hours for food could be used to take care of family at the same time, so I can give way on that, but then we have to account for the taking care of my family, meaning work, which accounts for 8 hours a day, or 28800 seconds, which brings us to 68400 seconds. Again you can say that some of that time at work, meant to help out my family, can be used to help others. Since there aren't enough jobs that allow us to do that and make money, we'll assume that everyone has a job that doesn't really help out mankind, just does something for people. Then you are trying to help those around you at work.
That leaves about 18000 seconds in the day to try and make the world a better place. Alot of which gets eaten up by house work, family obligations, and needs. So looking at that bank as time, it's not as easy to spend it how we want and still be able to live and have a family, we have to focus mainly on our selves and our family, giving what time we can to help others when we have the time.

Now to look at it under the original question, as money, I currently, with my son and girlfriend, live on about $200 a day, thus with the original $86,400, I am left with $86,200 to try and help others with. If i don't use it, it just disappears, so even a non-altruistic person, would eventually buy all he needs and start using it to help others.
Between money and time, there is a huge discrepancy, and thus not a good comparison. I know the idea is, "if time is money, then why don't you spend it the same"? The short easy answer is, you can't.

Now, if look at it the other way, like Jax suggests, then the movie "In Time" would be helpful. This movie stars Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried. There is no more money, the currency is time, you have a timer on your arm, that starts when you turn 20, exactly, and counts down to zero, you have to work to add time to that clock, when it hits zero, you're dead. If we had a countdown timer, not exactly like in the movie, not used as currency, but just a watch telling us when we would die, then we would live our lives differently, we would not waste a moment and try and make sure every minute counted.

So it boils down to how much time is wasted, how much do we really need what we waste time on, and how much do we feed the necessities? As Jax said, its all a matter of perspective, how much time do you feel you are wasting.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

It may not be a direct comparison, but it's something to play with. What possibilities can you come up with to expand your vision of the world by playing with the idea? This is how it's fun and beneficial because greater possibilities equals more freedom.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake replied the topic: 86400

This is very similar to a website / lecture series which was about 'thinking beyond the mundane' or some other kind of 'success' seminar concept, if I recall correctly. Was like a decade ago when it was 'the thing' to sign up and try out on their website.... you had to daily blog your 'what to do with it list' and do it for 30 days... and you could not repeat any 'purchase'. You got 'points' for participating and some such. So long ago, I've forgotten the final goal of it all though.

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: 86400

Thanks for all your contributions! You found out the connection, equitation already. The question was really about if we would substitute money by time – as the number those equal the seconds we do have every day – would we treed our time different, more conscious?
Normally everyone of us is very aware of how much or less money he has left on his bank account and what he still has to pay with it and how much might be left for personal spending. But with the time we have we normally don’t “work” that consciously. Although it is, at least for most of us, very true what Memnoich said, I’m also sure that many of us do also “waste” a lot of time per day by just letting it past by unaware, unconscious.
The teacher of the seminar whom had put out this question also told us that during the time we had been sitting together for dinner he had been thinking of what he could use for the seminar and in which way he could help us to get his point through. For that he picked up some paper table mat you use here in Germany for putting your beer on. The next day he used them for two things. First of all he showed the student who was sitting opposite of him the whole evening that he wasn’t that aware of his surrounding as he might have thought as he wasn’t aware that the teacher had taken the table mats away just in front of his eyes. Secondly he used them for showing us the element “Ku” or void which often uses “Metsubushi”, irritator to confuse an attacker and thus give you an advantage over him.
Another example of how conscious someone could live was another thing I experienced with this teacher. A Dojo colleague and I where sitting together with the teacher for lunch and had a good talk. In the background another practitioner was doing some roles with Bokken in his belt. Suddenly the teacher turned over to this student and told him what he had to do to make his role better. Furthermore he said that it is important that the “Kashira/Tuska-Gashira” – the end of the hilt – never touches the ground due to that it normally would have been of a nice design and made out of noble metal.

All those things let me start to think about if I do really live conscious or if it is more the way that I as well do waste much of my time by “just” being unconscious about it. Unfortunately the answer is yes, yes, I’m still not that conscious, aware as I would like to be with and in the things I do. But I dearly hope that this question and my experiences with it do help me to change that.

NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Memnoich

It is a good lesson. I'm very unaware much of the time and it feels like an uphill battle. But I try to remember it's not a race, and being unaware isn't a failure, just another reminder. And that reminder does double duty for me - to keep working toward awareness and to clear my issues with failure. ;-) Thank you for sharing this. I had a blast playing around with the ideas, more than if you had laid the whole lesson out there from the beginning.

Kol, the reason for those games is that energetically, the mind and universe do not distinguish between playing/imagining and actually doing something. It seems to be simply a matter of amount of energy. So, if you play a game where you are imagining how fun it would be to have that money, and you stay in an open, expansive space while doing it, you are expanding your reality as well and increasing the flow of prosperity into your life. The one I have used and enjoy is the prosperity game. It's redesigned to look nice and is totally and completely free. No catches. Just fun to play with. If anyone's interested you can find it at http://choosingprosperity.com/

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds