Clothing

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1824

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Clothing

Playing Sith's Advocate -- :evil:

How many places do folks put on 'special clothing' as part of their jobs? Clergy, doctors, firemen, police, EMTs... ( in days of old, the lawyers and judges )... in the not quite so old days, the ice cream man or 'soda jerk' had what some might consider a costume which said, I am now the ice cream man.

Of course there are times when you do NOT wish to be identified. I seriously doubt any of the original series security 'red shirts' wore red when off duty!

:P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 8

Daizan replied the topic: Re: Clothing

Kol Drake wrote: How many places do folks put on 'special clothing' as part of their jobs? Clergy, doctors, firemen, police, EMTs... ( in days of old, the lawyers and judges )... in the not quite so old days, the ice cream man or 'soda jerk' had what some might consider a costume which said, I am now the ice cream man.

I'd venture that the closest thing to the "Jedi look" would be clerical vestments or a monastic habit. But does a Jedi perform the functions of clergy in reality?

The Mind is always present. You just don't see it. ~Bodhidharma

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 529

Connor replied the topic: Re: Clothing

Lucas wrote: What ceremonies do you speak of, and why are clothes important? Because we have millenia of tradition or because a concept designer working for George is a Jedi prophet or something?

I am not saying its wrong just state your motives honestly.

Jedi Ceremonies could be Knighting ceremonies. Meditation sessions. Mastership ceremonies.

While these do not have any real world significance other than to the person, the choice is up to the Jedi.

I believe in the Mythology of the Star Wars tradition. The story-telling is a Hero's journey that I can identify with. So, heck no, it doesn't have any "magical" or "spiritual" tradition or experience behind it, but it does bring me closer to the Lore that I actively use in my life.

So, to be honest with my intentions would be to want to honor the tradition that I have spent half my life dedicated to. What's so wrong with that? To me, that's not "just" cosplay. (btw - I don't own ANY star wars related clothing except for a Sith robe I wore to a costume party once)

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 1833

Jax replied the topic: Re: Clothing

Religious clothing (in the western sense at least) is far from practical, and not useful for responding to a situation physically. I find robes quite unwieldy so I don't have one.

As a teacher, I don't really worry about what people wear. If there is an issue of wanting to be seen as a Jedi so they are seen as special, then we work on the self worth aspects and positive ways of channeling ambition and such. It hasn't come up here though. That's an issue with some other Jedi and one I learned was pointless to argue about. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daizan

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1824

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Clothing

Wearing what's practical. Other then in a practice hall or a tourneyment, how many people practicing martial arts walk around all day in their fancy martial jammies? Would it not be 'better' to wear street clothes so they can practice their grips and throws and rolls and snap kicks with their highly impractical 'regular clothes' on?

One would think. However, there is almost a kind of 'nod' to the place and practice which dictates one wears their 'whites' (or whatever color they wear). The clergy preaches in their unwieldy robes but I do believe they strapped on leather, chain, and plate when they fought actual battles in the Crusades. So, wear what is most appropriate for the situation...

... unless you are a superhero and have your super jammies on under your 'normal clothes' for when the bad guy strikes Midtown...

• Michael Southernskies
  • Gunmetal Adept
  • Thank you received: 23

Michael Southernskies replied the topic: Re: Clothing

Have you seen how many pockets goth pants have? Practical beyond belief. I have carried a laptop in there.

I do very much agree with the symbol recogniseable to people from the Realist Orders. A pendant or some such. I'm reminded of the Rosettes carried by Inquisitors in the Warhammer 40k setting.

Embracing the truth will change your fate
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
  • Thank you received: 86

Stryse replied the topic: Re: Clothing

Daizan wrote:
I'd venture that the closest thing to the "Jedi look" would be clerical vestments or a monastic habit. But does a Jedi perform the functions of clergy in reality?

Some do, some don't. All minister in their own way.

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Thank you received: 43

Hunter replied the topic: Clothing

i actually do have a personal dress code. i wear comfortable, unobtrusive clothes that i can run or fight in

my colors are typically earth tone variations but black and grey have tactical value and white has symbolic value so they are also appropriate

i dont wear anything that is flashy or offensive

i dress respectfully and with an eye to what i consider simplicity and/or tastefulness, rather than hip or trendiness

this is for casual wear

otherwise i dress to the situation/environment/context

everyone has value
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

• Thank you received: 0

Parton48 replied the topic: Re: Clothing

Thanks a lot for doing this. I am a fashion designer student and I am also thinking of starting my own label. I am trying to design some nice and comfortable leggings for girls. Can you suggest something? Anything that you think is a necessity and is required while working out.

• Thank you received: 1833

Jax replied the topic: Re: Clothing

I'm not sure that's the same thing as this thread, as this thread was more focused on Jedi application. If you want feedback on that I actually recommend a site like quora where you can get a lot of feedback from people of all types.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds