Clothing

• Thank you received: 11

Lucas replied the topic: Re: Clothing

I don't really see a point of this.
I mean, if anyone is interested in cosplay then head on, but there is no 'Jedi' clothing. So as someone above pointed out about being posers... No, don't try to find a "specific" "jedi" clothing, because there is no such.
Just wear what is comfortable and functional.

To add to that, the Jedi in the movies were wearing robes and simple clothing NOT to be easily recognisable. It is not in a Jedi's interest to be recognised as such, unless of course you want to be a "poser" or a cosplayer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 8

Daizan replied the topic: Re: Clothing

Much of a group's attire serves to identify members of that group to others in addition to having a symbolic nature. The Buddhist kesa or the turban and bracelets of the Sikh are good examples.

There doesn't appear to be any symbolic meaning to Jedi clothing in the films, though the Bedouin style cloak seems to be a common item. The rest of their attire appears to be close to that worn by the fringe civilizations with varying sorts of cultural touches.

Where does that leave the Realist? Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a set of meditation robes or a ceremonial outfit, but a Jedi appears to be rather inconspicuous. For example, TC-13 is not certain that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are Jedi and Anakin doesn't realize that Qui-Gon is a Jedi until he sees the lightsaber (and Qui-Gon tries to deny it). In the Clone Wars series, the bartender doesn't recognize Plo Koon as a Jedi until he places his lightsaber on the bar. Perhaps the Realist should endeavor to be invisible to the general public, but have one symbolic article that those who know would recognize.

The Mind is always present. You just don't see it. ~Bodhidharma
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, J. K. Barger

• Thank you received: 1828

Jax replied the topic: Re: Clothing

I agree with that sentiment. I'm not sure why a person wants to be seen as a Jedi while walking around. I tend to believe it's an ego thing but I'm sure people can help me understand if they want.

Not certain that it is an ego thing as much as it is a desire to fully express who they are and what they aspire to.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 529

Connor replied the topic: Re: Clothing

I think ceremonial clothing is great because it is symbolic and ritualistic. And, it fits in with the archetypal respect and adherence.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 1828

Jax replied the topic: Re: Clothing

What I mean by ego is wanting everyone to know they are a Jedi. That they are special. Desiring attention.

Jax wrote: What I mean by ego is wanting everyone to know they are a Jedi. That they are special. Desiring attention.

Perhaps. As a teacher, how do you differentiate this desire from an external manifestation of aspiration?

• Thank you received: 11

Lucas replied the topic: Re: Clothing

In the utility?

What is the function of "Jedi" clothing worn in public? Don't mention recognition of other Jedi, because it does not work like that. Everyone can be a fan of Star Wars but not everone is a Jedi.

And the important question: What function does these clothes are ment to play in your path? Symbolic? What do they symbolise? The way fictional jedi dressed isnt overly symbolic. Ceremonial? What ceremonies do you speak of, and why are clothes important? Because we have millenia of tradition or because a concept designer working for George is a Jedi prophet or something?

So to me it boils down to cosplaying as Jedi, rather then being Jedi. I am not saying its wrong just state your motives honestly.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1813

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Clothing

I've made costumes for my kids all the time they were growing up. (Well, "and beyond" since I did some for one while they were in college too...) So, I'm not against someone wanting a nice 'costume'/uniform to wear at formal ceremonies or even to a convention or Gathering.

I suppose if 'the Jedi' got into a group and were doing a fund raiser, having them 'in costume' would differentiate them from every other organization 'out there'.

As noted above, most times, they were 'just' wearing what was handy and comfortable. (though in the first movie, they spend a lot of time shedding their cloaks so they can fight -- sensible but, a waste of a good cloak. )

Since most were 'only' seen as a Jedi when they flashed their lightsabers (Freud would have a field day with that concept!) -- um, perhaps, since we don't have REAL lightsticks, someone of an artsy fartsy nature can come up with a nice medallion or pin or belt buckle that would be the 'special' item... for fun and profit?

Kol Drake wrote: Since most were 'only' seen as a Jedi when they flashed their lightsabers (Freud would have a field day with that concept!)

That was well played.

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds