Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

Most of the time, there's nothing to be done outside of building up the groups with good standards (as we aren't the only way, just one way). However, always ask, is there something I can contribute? Sometimes it's enough to just ask a question such ask, What if we are capable of more? What are the benefits of increasing standards? What would change? Sometimes it's enough to remind people that standards don't need to be a fixed thing, that they can grow as the community grows. I view it as planting seeds. Sometimes those seeds grow into a new awareness and that spreads within the community. Sometimes it doesn't, but rarely do those who don't want to be held to any real standard stick around. They eventually grow bored, or they drive to role playing groups, or they are seen for the 'frauds' they are.

Ultimately, I have a few experiences with meeting Jedi in person and actually seeing them over time. In one case one of those people even lived with us while she was getting on her feet. That gave me a unique and valuable view into just how much she wasn't living the path, and how far she could go if she did. She was provided the opportunity to really learn, to be empowered in her life, and make some serious changes. She chose not to. And she too fell from the path and drifted away. All we can do is provide opportunity. If people take it, they take it. If not, that's their choice.

As we get the offline Praxeum off the ground and people start doing longer, in person training sessions, we're going to see more step up to more because they can finally see that it's possible. Until then, for many they don't really commit because it doesn't seem real to them, or hold enough value for the effort.

These are all very important things to consider, for our own paths, and as a group building something more. I don't feel it digresses from the original post at all actually, as it is still part of the original issues that broke groups apart. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frost

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 244

Baru replied the topic: Re: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

sign me up for the "astral projection". That reads like fun.

We are the Force.

Baru replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

This is a wonderful consideration and I feel a show of a true community. It needs to be constantly asking these questions to make sure its evolving and staying current. I have taken part is so many different groups and organizations like: SCA, Nero and the Camaria (World of Darkness), and they all feel like they are "dying" because they do not ask these questions. They get lazy and stagnate. They like their friends and they like the way things are - Now. So they shut down and the group will pass away.

The past is a wonderful foundation but it needs to be let go. "traditions" can be the death of things unless everyone really enjoys them. Staying alive and current is huge. Knowing that we have a past creates a foundation and substance for the present to be built on - be groups need to remain current.

And there needs to be a constant affirmation of the single minded focus - why are we here? We are here because of this... With that we keep our selves engaged and working towards achieving that one goal.

I look forward to what these new movies will bring out of people.

We are the Force.

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 253

Memnoich replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

Hmm, SCA, our shire just joined the Outlands, after years of discussion.
I think one good thing would be to try and continue what has been helpful in the past, the newsletter providing updates, the quarterly community conference's, the gatherings, even the Podcasts. I think getting more than just the Faculty into a call/discussion on what is working and what isn't. To ask members, why are we here, where are we going, how do we get there? I have seen the stagnation from lack of new blood. Like Baru said, people create their Cliques, their friends, and have a hard time changing, cause it's worked so far, so why change it. That's just it, we need the ability to change, the want to grow and test, and research, and find new ways to do things. We are infants, and if we don't change, infants is where we will stay.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

I completely agree.

For those who haven't heard me say it before, as this year I've been less active in pushing for things like quarterly meetings due to pregnancy, if you want to host a chat, or have an idea of something you can contribute to increase community, engagement, etc, all you have to do is ask. Everything doesn't have to come from the top down. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baru

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM
  • Thank you received: 90

Brandel Valico replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

Is there actually a chat available on the site?

HOMO SUM HUMANI A ME NIHIL ALIENUM PUTO

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Not currently, but we host them with google hangouts. The service we used when out of business. The alternatives weren't working with our software, so I let it go for now. We need to do a whole site update anyway, and that will change what we use in the end. Unfortunately, the technical aspect of websites has never returned to the ease of ezboard.

Baru replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

Jax wrote: I completely agree.
if you want to host a chat, or have an idea of something you can contribute to increase community, engagement, etc, all you have to do is ask. Everything doesn't have to come from the top down. :-)

I view Jedi as leaders within our lives and this community. With the communities support and permission, we can contribute in creative ways that enhance our community. Basically its up to us to create the living and engaging community that we want.

Like I wrote before, I have seen a lot of groups pass away because of either everyone is waiting for someone else (usually the "leader) to do it first or "deadly" bureaucracy stifling anything new and creative.

Based on this statement from Jax, I would infer that we have permission to create our own chats, hangouts and activities (as long as they honor the core rules of the group).

All we have to do is ASK, and they will come, lol.

Activities:
With the communities permission, these suggestions can be official or unofficial offers:

Concerning gatherings and activities, I am willing to host a lunch or dinner at my place. People are welcome to camp or train with my on the land. I would enjoy connecting with people in person.

Denver Comic Con or Starfest - I am wondering if anyone has any interest in meeting up at these conventions this June? I would love to host a Fan table for IJRS and host Jedi panels.

Let me know if this interests anyone and if we can use these types of events to bring people together in person.

We are the Force.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Yes, all you have to do is bring up an idea. But let's put that in a separate thread so people can find it. :-)

• Thank you received: 43

Hunter replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

I think that the most valid thing i can contribute to this thread is that serious people will understand that jedi is first and foremost an issue of character

If it was only about force powers the path would just be sorcery or magick, generically

With the emphasis on character growth and commitment the natural result will be people who aremnot only serious and commited but who are also useful and active in society and represent the communitty in a mature and impressive fashion

Which will attract morre serious and commited people

In this way the foundations are set for a movement that can stand the tesst of time

I remember years ago imread a book on yoga butnit wasnt soccer mom hipster yoga it was comprehensive traditional auryuveda and sankrit vedanta practice including the esoteria of temple philosophy- something it saidnatnone point was essentially this "dont worrry about the development of powers. You will find as you progress on this path thst you will experience such things as the uninitiated consider to be supernatural but they are only the product of developing ones self and should not be mistaken for anything special"

i am in general agreement with the mood of that statement at least insofar as it is in keeping with the premise tuatb the real meaning of being jedi is not predicated on esoteric power but onspiritual and internal commitment

Like i consider that any jedi worth the title would act in essentially the same way with or without esoteric powers and this is the result of the fact that sincere jedi are commited to character building

everyone has value
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax, Frost

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds