Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1761

Jax replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

You bring up many good questions. I would just remind you that Jediism as it's known today didn't exist back then. The Jedi movement was not religious. So in many ways you are still heading toward the hayday of Jediism. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anirac Morgan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 239

Memnoich replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

As you said, you may have missed "A golden age" but not "The Golden Age". The only reason it was a "Golden age" is because there was more at that time, more people, more enthusiasm, more activity. We have grown since then. Part of what happened was needed, growth, both personal, spiritual, and as a community. When I first found the Jedi groups back in 2002-3 there was a lot of activity, but not much substance. You had groups pushing out the title of Master and Knight like they were candy. All it took to be a "Master" was to have your own site, or have someone willing to call you such. Groups splintered, others Divulged from the "Jedi Path"( I still don't understand the Ashla Knights, they want to be removed from the Jedi community, but still be a part of it, how does that work?). Some left, mainly because they were there for the wrong reasons, Role playing, they wanted the title, the recognition, or just it was "cool" to have a Jedi website. Some took their training offline, some decided it wasn't for them, and some just had to deal with real life. I know for a time I walked away from the online community, back when it seemed like all the sites were bickering and just couldn't get along.
I keep saying it, and saying it, and it surprise's me how few can actually see it, we are babies in the way of the Force, not even infants. What we do now is the foundation of what will come. We aren't anywhere near what the Jed'aii were when they began on Tython. One day, what we do here will be remembered as the beginning, but never the "Golden Age". This is why I'm not worried about Unity and conformity, because if we are to grow, we need a multitude of things tested, taught, researched, and tried. There is no reason that we can't come together as Jedi and do things, gatherings, events, etc... but I see no reason to structure a full on, this is the Jedi group, in doing so we will pigeon hole ourselves and limit our potential. One day, our current "Masters" won't even be considered padawans, this is why Titles matter not to me, it's the potential I look for, the understanding, and the willingness to grow, in any way possible.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Atticus, Jax, Anirac Morgan

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

Just wait till the new movies come out... Oh lord. hahah

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1762

Kol Drake replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

Yep... new movie *may* rekindle old thoughts of 'wanna go back to being a Jedi' to the 'new kids' who think... being a Jedi might be cool. Then the parsing between which is idle curosity; which is fanboy, wanna wear a robe and swing a broom stick; and which are seriously looking at it as a 'Way' to study.

I always kind of got the impression Ashla was named to keep from some kind of 'potential future' copyright/trademark issues for using the term 'Jedi' -- either with Lucas Franchise or now, with Disney. (Disney tends to be even more lawyer 'happy' than Lucas ever was.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus

• Memnoich

Memnoich replied the topic: Re:Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

You would be correct, but their masters have also gone so far as to say that they want to distance themselves from anything Jedi and become their own thing. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - all typos are considered intentional and full of meaningless harassment.

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Re:Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

I have created "jedi training" without the Jedi name with the Order of Zephyr. So, I know that feeling.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Thank you received: 523

Atticus replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

One great thing about the internet is its persistence. I still have a few dead forums in my bookmarks -- maybe no one's posted there in years, but there are still some useful training materials on a few of them. What really counts, though, is the quality of the sites that remain. Over time, the posers and the roleplayers tend to fall away, and you're left with the committed few who want to 1) learn and 2) pass on what they learn. And those teachings have been significantly refined too. As a community, I think we have a much better idea of what it means to be a Jedi than we did even five years ago when I was a newb.

A lot of folks have moved the bulk of their Jedi training off-line, even some who were around a lot when I was new not so very long ago. But the other crazy thing that's happened is the rise of social media + smartphone. There is a ridiculous amount of Jedi-ness happening on Facebook lately. It's neutral ground, for one thing; I don't have to maintain twelve accounts on twelve different forums, or put up with abusive admins. But even people who don't venture anywhere near the forums anymore still stay in touch on the fbook.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anirac Morgan

• Volund Starfire
  • Jedi Paladin
  • Thank you received: 51

Volund Starfire replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

I promise not to go on a “back in my day” old man speech. Well, promise might be too strong a word, so instead I’ll just say ‘try.’ But I remember back in the Golden Age. For the most part, I was a regular of Ashla and JEDI.org, among a small handful of other sites. It was in the immediate aftermath of “The Gospel According to Luke (Skywalker)” and the huge British and Australian push.

I will fully admit it was because of the Inquisition that I stepped away from the community. I will not post any names, but one individual was adamantly against my being a Christian in faith and Jedi in philosophy. His attacks were relentless, but also juvenile and not well thought out. I defeated his main points in our debates and was subsequently the target of his personal attacks. It got so bad that he was barred from one website and heavily moderated in another.

At the time, I was going through training with one of my Apprentices who also looked into the Jedi philosophy. She was attacked by this individual for the same reason as me, but allowed it to actually get to her. For her benefit, I left the Jedi Community while we continued training. She eventually was knighted and I was elevated to a Lord within my Table. I had a great many new responsibilities, but never stopped practicing my Jedi Path.

I eventually returned with permission to share my Paladin training with the Jedi community, a big step for my Order. However, the Table I was seated at split (when the 13th Lord is seated, the tables split). I found myself in the second seat of the new table (think Executive Officer) and that kind of deep-sixed all but my most dedicated plans. But, I’m back now!

It has been a long journey and I hope that it continues in earnest. I look forward to the Gatherings and have been looking into them from the past until now. They seem to be growing a little. This is good, as it is an amazing way to bring Jedi from all different disciplines together under a common fellowship. I think that would be amazing, not to pull all the disciplines in to one, but to let them know they are not alone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Jax

• Thank you received: 107

Anirac Morgan replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

Facebook definitely seem to help with connecting more potential Jedi also to the forums. My first Jedi community was the Jedi Church (the original) group on FB. From there I found among others TotJF, FA and IfJRS. The group has a bit above 8000 members now, and I'll see some there from other groups, some complete new, some who's been a part of the Jedi communities for a decade or more. It's fascinating!

I still consider JCO my "Jedi home" as it was my first group. However the various forums are all wonderful in their unique take on it, and I have found that joining more than one forum helps someone new on the path to get a broader perspective. Mostly the core remains the same in the places I've been to, but the perspective and areas of focus differ somewhat. This I think is a good thing, because too narrow a perspective can hinder growth. Which I suppose also applies for too broad a perspective, but all in all, the fact that there are a few somewhat diffferent communities I think aids us in that more Jedi freshlings will find the perfect group fitting their individual interest and strengths better.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see if the new movie gives a decrease in the interest, I have already seen that the number of new members on the FB group seems to increase more and more the closer we get to the movie coming out, lol. Most don't stay, most don't post regularly, but some of the new members do.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "There's always a bigger fish."

• Memnoich

Memnoich replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

its things like this that bug me, and that I saw before, this was on a FB group that I joined(to not call someone out, I have removed names):

Greetings,

This is a call to all Knights and Masters.

More and more of the Jedi coming to the group are asking to be taken on as apprentices. We need to step up to this duty. I already have taken three and am considering a fourth. I can't do this on my own and need all of you. Members who have been on this path for more than a year you too can help with this task. All those who wish to be taken as an apprentice please comment below.

Gray Jedi Knight

Now the thing that gets me is only 2 post's further down, this Gray Jedi Knight, is being congratulated for achieving her knighthood. But according to her, if you've been a Jedi for more than a year you are ready to take on the challenge of instructing another.
This is what I saw before, people that should be students taking on the role of master, well before they are ready. A knight with 3-4 students, wow, let alone the fact she is a brand new knight.

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds