Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

• Thank you received: 0

Adana replied the topic: Re: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

I don't think there is much we can control, Jax.

There have been plans for an offline Jedi community that would combine all of the ones that are in existance already, Otherone. A place where all Jedi can come together, even live there if they choose to do so. We all like to see this happen. The problem often is, and I have experienced this first hand as have Jax and others on this site, that there were too many chiefs and not enough indians.
Ok, I am trying to make this sound right, so forgive me if it doesn't. I believe many Jedi out there have to humble themselves to the Force and the Path they are walking in order to accept such a community. This does not mean that they must become mindless pawns either but in order to undergo such an endevor and the formation of such an umbrella organisation requires an understanding and the will to keep learning many are not ready for yet.

Quid quid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem.
Everything you do, do wisely, and consider the end (outcome).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5

Magdelene Nashira replied the topic: Re: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

I think another thing that might bear mentioning is that sometimes people create a new site because they don't quite agree with the thinking of the sites that exist, and have a largely different way of seeing things.  I know when I contemplated starting a site and the sites that I have where I posted my own writings were with this in mind.  I just wanted someplace to post my own thinking without anyone correcting me or the site disappearing and thus my own postings going away.  I felt like there were some sites at which they seemed to want to discourage some of the things I believed in.  At this point I have no desire to have a site of my own.  I've got more than enough work to do and I've lost that newby urge to be the Grand Poo-Bah.  In fact, I don't think I've posted to my blog or my other site in over a year now.  But anyway, the point is that sometimes new sites develop because we really don't all see things the same way or agree on the approach to teaching.

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." - Kurt Cobain

Adana replied the topic: Re: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

I know what you mean. I have seen sites were posters were bashed by other members for there believes or opinions and a peaceful discussion was turned into a place were personal differences were carried out. I am glad this place is different and we all can accept once individuality.

Quid quid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem.
Everything you do, do wisely, and consider the end (outcome).

• Thank you received: 3

MJ Hannigan replied the topic: Re: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

What went wrong?

Well admin with power trips who did not like being called out on foolishness
Power trips of older members
Titles and Ranks on forums
People who could not deal with the other side of the coin on topics having admin powers
Children thinking they were Masters

What went right
Honestly I think all the old forums going down was a good thing. As most of us who have been dedicated to this path found each other once again on facebook says a lot.

May the force guide you on your path and give you the strength for what lays ahead.

M.J. Hannigan

• Chris-Tien Jinn (JT)
  • Educational gaming researcher
  • Thank you received: 3

Chris-Tien Jinn (JT) replied the topic: Re: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

I think new sites spring up for a combination of reasons. The Jedi Temple (aka Temple of the Jedi) was formed because the original Jedi Academy did not want to formally hold classes and grant titles. Hence, we formed our own site in order to provide a service that was lacking at the time.

Many of the current sites exist because of the challenges of creating and managing increasingly large and complex sites. In many cases, especially in the early days, it was difficult to segment a large site (so that different people were in charge of "their" portion only), and most of us did not have the time to manage a large web site and manage a lot of people, teachers, moderators, etc. The tools have improved a great deal in 14 years.

We are better than we know. If we can be made to see it, [then] maybe for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.

• Tothian
  • I destroy evil.
  • Thank you received: 16

Tothian replied the topic: Re: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

Jax,

What you wrote here was very deep and well thought out. I've noticed many of these same things you mentioned here, with other communities I've been heavily involved in for years, as well as one of those websites you've mentioned, like the Force Academy. I was on there in 2001, and 2005, and I think some other times in between. I noticed it didn't exist anymore though. There were a lot of interesting lectures on there. I think I even have some of them saved somewhere.

Obi Wan Kenobi replied the topic: Re: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

Yes members will always leave for more power. Hard to control the ego is. He!He! Perhaps what is needed is marketing? The lack of Forum discussion is disturbing.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Re: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

Really? I'd see it as encouraging. I'd rather see Jedi in the world than here.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1761

Jax replied the topic: Re: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

If you tale a sufficiently small viewpoint everyplace is lacking in interaction. ;-). I don't worry because I understand why everyone is so swamped with life. There are universal reasons for it and it comes in cycles. There are times when people have time to breathe and activity picks up. There are times when the bulk of activity is in training journals. Also, many of us have bern at this for a long time. We have fewer things to ask about and have already shared our knowledge. It takes new people to bring in new questions, new experiences, and new perspectives to bring to discussions.

Rather than being disturbed, jump into discussions. Start new ones. Contribute to the community and you'll find it perks up. But don't expect everything to be busy in a day. Read the training journals and you'll see what everyone is balancing in their life. In spite of that we train, we grow, and we improve as people and as a community. You're quite welcome to join us in that process. :-)

• Thank you received: 107

Anirac Morgan replied the topic: Jedi Online History - what went wrong and right

I hope it is OK that I post in this topic, despite it being very old.

Firstly, I am wondering how people feel and think about this specific issue now?

Secondly, I have thought to myself a lot of times; "I am so late. Wish I had discovered Jediism when it was thriving, now I feel like I missed out on the chance."

My conclusion eventually was that I might have missed out on ONE golden age of Jediism. However this doesn't mean that I missed out on THE golden age of Jediism. Everything fluctuates and changes. Look to the arts. Look to philosophy or religion. In almost everything things will surface, fade and then resurface. Such seem to be in the nature of human kind, bringing back what is old or thought lost, and hence it lives again and anew. Should I be sad that I missed out on what was, or should I enjoy and thrive in what is? It's in my hands whether I choose to walk away from an old idea, or embrace it as if no time has passed at all. Even if I was the last Jedi alive, the amount of material out there would ensure I could learn and grow for decades still. Even perhaps teach others who'd stumble over the same path.

It is a matter of perspective, I believe. Did something go wrong or did it go the way it ought to? Did someone fail, or is the birth, fading and renewal essential for most things to grow?

We learn through mistakes, failures and defeat. If something is thriving unchallenged, how would it evolve? Even a movement/path such as this, I still think this applies. Its fading left people with experiences that could ensure that when life is breathed into it again, it will rise better and stronger than before.

Besides, why stress what is not in our hands to control? Nobody can guarantee that I do a thing that I claim to be doing. However, the Jedi path to me is a matter of individual responsibility and growth, even if a community means people can grow together. If my fellow Jedi don't do their work, then they won't grow. It's not my responsibility to make them, only perhaps inspire and comfort. If I don't do my work, I'll fall short on the path. Still, I learn just as much from people not on the Jedi path, and from life itself. I don't depend on others failures or successes to learn from them, I believe everyone has something to teach/something I can learn from, regardless of who they are and what path they are on.

Keeping the Jedi path alive and growing doesn't sound easy. Then again, when was the Jedi path ever supposed to be easy?
Would it be so worth doing if it was easy? Challenge helps us grow. Easy doesn't. Hence I find it natural that both walking the path and keeping the community alive is equally difficult. It's in the nature of who we are to seek the path that is challenging, yet more rewarding, rather than the easy path that leaves us with little.

And I'll bet very little of this will sound like original thought, but I'd never demand a teacher give me a clap and an applause, because I don't walk the path for the applause, I walk it because it is right for me, and because the positive fruit I reap for myself and others is far more rewarding than any applause. The best reward I could have gotten was when my sister told me how much more patient and pleasant I have become, that I seem happier and more calm. It made her feel better and worry less about me. I found this invaluable! And worth every difficult step along the way.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "There's always a bigger fish."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Atticus

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds